1972 Hinckley Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl
BLOSSOM represents a great opportunity to take over ownership of a meticulously cared for Bermuda 40 that is very well equipped and features many important upgrades. She is a beautiful boat both on the water and below and interested sailors are encouraged to view her in person. She is located in a private boat shed in Buck’s Harbor, Maine, a destination worth a trip in itself.
* Featured boat for May in the 2016 Cruising World Calendar!
BLOSSOM (featured boat for May in the 2016 Cruising World Calendar!) is a classic yawl-rigged early Mark III B-40 that has been meticulously cared for by her current owner of almost 30 years, benefiting from an extensive refit at the Hinckley Service yard in Southwest Harbor, Maine in 2005 that included new Awlgrip on the hull and a new engine and many other upgrades. Since the refit she has been sailed summers only every other year and stored in a private heated boathouse.
Hinckley 2005 Refit included:
- Deck Non-skid Awlgripped
- Hull Awlgripped
- Engine replaced
- Batteries replaced
- New Edson pedestal and engine controls
- Upgraded propane system
- Upgraded fuel system
- New cutlass bearing and propeller shaft
- New Alcraft hot water heater
- New head faucet
- New Alternator
- Head bulkheads and overhead painted
- Engine room painted and sound insulation installed
- Bottom stripped and sealed with Introprotect 2000
- Main sheet traveler rebuilt
- Cockpit drain hoses replaced
- Toe rail varnish stripped and built back up
HULL and DECK
- Claret Awlgrip Topsides (2005)
- White Deck and house with contrasting light gray nonskid (nonskid repainted 2005)
- White Bootstripe (2005)
- Blue bottom
- Varnished exterior teak
- Solid fiberglass hull reinforced with additional laminations in all stress areas.
- Deck, with balsa core stiffeners, is set in a 6” molded hull flange, fiberglassed and bolted to form a permanent hull/deck joint.
- External lead keel - Fastened with stainless steel bolts
- Bronze centerboard - is operated by a worm gear with override in case grounding.
- Rub rail – Painted with stainless steel half-round at sheer.
- Stainless steel stem head with anchor roller, bow and stern pulpits, and stanchions with double lifelines and gates (stanchions rebedded 2005)
- Second anchor line on spool in chain locker with deck access aft of windlass 5/8” braided nylon, approx. 200’
- Varnished teak toe rails, trim, hatch, lazarette and dorade boxes, handrails
- Double dorades in teak dorade box with storage area between dorade guards
- Single removable dorade forward for chain locker
- Two custom Hinckley translucent hatches with screens. Hatches can be hinged to open forward or aft.
- Mounts for reaching strut and whisker pole on deck. Spinnaker pole mount on mast.
The spacious cockpit has stainless steel capped, inboard teak-covered cockpit coamings that include winch pockets.
- Wheel pedestal steering (New Edson pedestal 2005 – including engine controls)
- Cockpit dodger- white with elkhide on aft edge and opening front section
- Cockpit awning
- Full boat awning – tan Sunbrella in three sections (Made in the Shade – Ft Lauderdale, FL)
- Teak cockpit grate
- Large opening watertight cockpit seats give access to generous sail locker storage.
- Custom removable Hinckley helmsman seat – mounts on mizzen mast
- Binnacle mounted compass with cover and stainless steel binnacle guard.
- Varnished teak folding cockpit table with folding leaves mounted to binnacle guard
- White cockpit cushions in excellent condition
- Sun cover for pedestal, wheel and table
- Transparent cover over rudder post - for visual reference of rudder position
Entry from the cockpit is forward down the teak-trimmed companionway into the classic 6-berth offshore interior. BLOSSOM is finished in varnished mahogany with white overhead and varnished teak & holly cabin sole.
Aft is the full-width GALLEY:
- Formica countertop
- Aft, double stainless steel sink with hot and cold pressure water
- Custom mug rack and separate stainless steel spice storage array above sink
- Custom dish storage behind sliding doors on port side
- Gimbaled Shipmate 3-burner propane gas stove with oven to port
- Icebox on starboard side accessed through countertop
- Generous counter space, dish and food storage lockers
- Built-in dust pan with teak grate in the galley sole.
- Removable gimbaled Balmar Sea Cook offshore stove
NAVIGATION Area - is located in the starboard galley.
- Custom electronics shelf with sled/shelf design pulls out for easy access and repair or replacement
- Chart storage above accessed through drop front panel.
- Electrical panels aft
The Main Cabin features:
- Pull-out settee/transom berths are port and starboard with pilot berths outboard with hinged lee boards stored under cushions. There is storage below and shelves outboard.
- A fixed mahogany drop-leaf dining table is centerline with removable fiddles on center section and folding leaves and a custom extension mounted to forward bulkhead.
- Electrical outlets (both 12V or 110 V)
- Opening translucent hatch for extra light and fresh air
- Two opening ports
- Large cedar lined hanging locker forward to starboard
- Locking custom liquor storage locker aft of hanging locker
- Shelves on hull sheathing over aft ends of pilot berths
- (2) 12v fans
- Custom tool locker outboard of companionway steps with easy access to engine compartment
- Boston Shipmate clock
- Naudet recording barograph covers centerboard gear in dining table
- Foul weather gear hooks for storage at companionway aft of radio shelf
HEAD (Next forward to port)
- Varnished mahogany vanity with formica countertop
- Stainless steel sink with fixtures and hot & cold pressure water
- “Telephone style” shower with a separate shower fixture
- Wilcox Crittenden Skipper head with y-valve and holding tank and LectraSan treatment system
- Medicine cabinet above with mirror
- Drawers and lockers
- Opening port.
- Teak slats on sole
- Nightlight in addition to standard 12v light sconce next to medicine cabinet
- Custom laundry locker under lifting section of counter (Espar heater ducting runs underneath and keeps area warm and dry when in use)
This private cabin has forward access to forepeak that has chain locker.
- V-berth with cushions covered in wheat Ultrasuede with hinged lee boards under cushions
- Cushioned seat between V-berth
- Shelves on hull sheathing outboard of berth and storage below in drawers and lockers
- Bureau to port with book shelves above
- Large cedar lined hanging locker to starboard
- Opening translucent hatch provides plenty of natural light and ventilation.
- Two opening ports
- Navigation instrument repeaters (wind, speed, depth)
- Separate Pioneer AM/FM stereo system
- Curtains over portlights
- Fan on forward bulkhead for additional air circulation
- Companionway hatch screens with storage above forward end of berth
NAVIGATION & ENTERTAINMENT EQUIPMENT:
- W-H AP-2 Autopilot system with Benmar power drive. Includes controls at helm and nav station
- Icom M80 VHF radio
- Icom ICR71A SSB receiver
- Trimble NavTrack GPS
- Furuno 1830 24 mile range radar with mounts under companionway and in cockpit under dodger (new Magnetron 2005)
- Datamarine Link system with wind, close hauled wind, speed and depth instruments in navigation area with repeaters in cockpit and forward cabin.
- Redundant Hummingbird HDR 4001 depth instrument in cockpit
- Danforth Constellation Compass on helm pedestal
- Sailcomp PC 103 digital compass with racing package with display in cockpit
- Locada 7 handheld direction finder
- Icom IC-M34 handheld VHF radio
- Weems & Plath Chartkit Plotter
- Alpine AM/FM/CD/XM stereo with 5 CD remote changer with Boston Acoustic speakers in main cabin and MB Quart marine speakers in cockpit (Has Terk SIR5 marine XM sat radio antenna)
- Separate Pioneer stereo - in master cabin forward
SAILS and RIGGING
- Aluminum main and mizzen - Main mast has in-mast furling.
- Stainless steel standing rigging
- Roller furling genoa
- Varnished teak rigging rollers on shrouds
- Custom main sheet traveler forward of companionway
- Spreader lights
- Spare jib halyard
- Spinnaker pole storage on main mast
- Detachable inner forestay
- Forespar telescoping whisker pole with storage on deck
- Forespar reaching strut with storage on deck
- Block and tackle vang for main boom
- (2) Barient #32 self-tailing 2-speed primaries –
- (2) Barient #28 self-tailing two speed secondaries
- (1) Barient #17 self-tailing main sheet winch on starboard cabintop under dodger
- (1) Barient #20 self-tailing winch on port cabintop under dodger
- Barient halyard and trimming winches on masts
- Main - North
- Mizzen - North
- #1 Jib/Drifter – Baxter/Newport News
- 130% furling jib - North
- Spinnaker – Baxter/Newport News
- Storm trysail (track mounted on main mast) - Mack Shaw (new condition)
- Yankee - Mack Shaw (attaches to inner forestay)
- Storm jib – Hood (new condition)
- Mizzen staysail – Baxter/Newport News
- Gennaker with snuffer – North with ATM snuffer (blue and red)
12-volt DC system:
- Separate starting and lighting battery systems.
- (1) Heavy-duty starting battery
- (2) gel cell house batteries 225-amp hour capacity in port sail locker
- Ample Power alternator with smart regulator
- Parallel switch – allows for emergency starting
110-volt 30-amp AC system:
- Constavolt 30-amp shore power converter with dual circuit charging and shore cord.
- Mar-Gal-30 shore power galvanic isolator
- Westerbeke 55B Four Bobtail 55-hp FWC diesel engine (New 2005).
- Manual electric fuel lift pump with filter for bleeding engine and fuel filter changes
- Racor fuel filter
- Remote mounted oil filter for easier maintenance
- 1” Stainless steel shaft with PSI Shaft Seal (2005)
- Max-prop three blade propeller with integral zinc
- Engine alarm system for low oil pressure and high water temperature
- Automatic Par 36680 diaphragm electric bilge pump
- Manual Whale Titan bilge pump in at helm
- Shower and ice box sump pump (Par Water Puppy)
- Espar 3DL diesel heater - with outlets in salon, head and forward cabin
- Propane system with two 10 lb. aluminum propane tanks with regulator, remote solenoid and Xintex propane monitoring and control system
- Analog gauges for both water tanks at galley
- Hot and cold pressure water
- Manual cold fresh water faucet at galley sink
- Saltwater deck wash – forward at anchor windlass
- Freshwater deck wash – aft of cockpit – with hose and shower head
- Ideal electric windlass mounted in custom stainless steel reinforced deck plate with integral chain snubber and vertical rope and chain gypsies
- Anchor chain 160’ BBB 3/8” chain, tailed with 180’ 5/8" nylon three strand rode
- Separate anchor rode (approximately 200’ 5/8” double braid on spool in chain locker with separate deck access behind windlass
- Custom polished stainless steel anchor bow roller with 45# CQR anchor
- Luke 70 pound three piece storm anchor stowed under starboard pilot berth
- 20-H Danforth anchor with chocks and line on trunk cabin (lunch hook)
- Fortress 32 lb. aluminum anchor in storage bag
- Third anchor rode on spool in Lazarette for stern anchor
- (2) Horseshoe life rings with Hinckley stainless steel storage brackets – one with Forespar crew overboard pole, one with an ARC floating strobe light
- Life jackets
- Fire extinguishers
- Hinckley stainless steel emergency tiller
- Felco C-12 3/8” emergency cable cutters
- Avon six-person Coastal liferaft in deck mounted hard case (out of inspection)
- 36" Hathway Reiser Raymond Galerider and harness (storm drogue)
- Detachable inner forestay with halyard provides flexibility in sail management and balance as conditions warrant
- Lexan top drop board and acrylic storm shutters for salon fixed windows for storm conditions
- Taylor 5-step boarding ladder - with stainless steel mounting brackets at stbd gate.
- Davis single quick step boarding ladder
- Varnished teak outboard bracket – on stern rail (with two spares)
- Fenders with fleece covers embroidered with hull number
- Varnished fender board with stainless rubstrips
- Padded fender board with fleece cover against hull and plastic against pilings
- Boat hook
- Sun covers for handrails, dorade box, lazarette and propane covers, helm pedestal and winches.
- Ship’s bell
- Ratsy Lapthorn bosun’s chair with custom single handed Mack Shaw rope hoist for single handed mast accents
- Vintage HRH ditty bag equipped with boson’s tools
- Force 10 charcoal marine barbeque with carrying case and stern rail mounting bracket
- 12’X18” cotton sewn complete signal flag set stored in sewn pocketed roll for dressing ship (or signaling nearby navy ships).
- Yamaha 3G 3-HP outboard motor
- Avon Rover R2-50 inflatable dinghy
Extensive spares, including:
- Spare new alternator
- (2) two blade propellers
- Fresh water pump
- Globe rubber boots for shroud bases
- Extra Barient winch handles
- 400’ 5/8” three strand line
- Misc cabinet hardware and pulls including Hinckley stainless steel hatch adjusters
- Bulbs, wire, fixtures
- Articulating snatch blocks (two 1 ½” and two 3”)
- Two 4” control blocks
- Two track mounted opening twin sheet lead blocks