1973 Hinckley H-49 Center Cockpit
From the conclusion of a recent (January 2015) survey: “AZUCAR is a professionally built blue-water cruising yacht that shows high build quality as expected from this well-known manufacturer. The vessel is well equipped for cruising and has obviously been the subject of a very meticulous maintenance program during its current ownership. Azucar should be regarded as a sound and seaworthy vessel.”
The Hinckley 49 is a center cockpit sailboat that was developed by Henry R. Hinckley to perform as a spacious cruiser offering comfortable liveaboard cruising accommodations in Hinckley style. She is a strong performer under sail or motor in all conditions has abundant tankage and storage and is equipped with a transformer and shore power connections for easy connection to either US or European power.
AZUCAR’s owners of 20 years have taken excellent care of her with constant maintenance and upgrades. In recent years AZUCAR was been updated with a new engine, new generator, new air conditioning, new sails, new canvas, new Trinca dinghy with custom cradle, new bowthruster, new batteries, washer/dryer… the list goes on and on. She comes completely equipped with an extensive list of spares and equipment and is ready to step on and sail away.
In addition to the comfortable main center cockpit, AZUCAR has an additional private cockpit aft with separate companionway to the master cabin. She sleeps up to six in three cabins.
HULL and DECK
- Black Topsides (Awlgripped in 2012)
- White Awlgripped deck with painted on non-skid.
- Gold Bootstripe
- Red Bottom
Hand laid fiberglass hull utilizing matt and roving construction in alternate layers. Bilge stiffeners and stringers are molded integrally as needed for extra stiffness. A 6-inch deck flange is molded integrally below the top edge of the hull to receive the deck. Mast step and chain plate areas are reinforced with extra heavy, solid fiberglass.
Deck, deckhouse, and cockpit are fiberglass molded in a single section and are Awlgripped with a non-skid pattern painted in the cockpit seats and working area of the deck.
- A painted integral rubrail with a stainless steel chafe strip protects the hull against pilings.
- Bronze thru-hulls are used on all hull openings below the water line and are secured to the hull with Monel fastenings.
- Lead keel: 8,000 lb. lead keel is fastened with 316 stainless steel bolts. The keel is mounted outside the hull for ease of repair and to protect the hull from damage in the event of grounding.
- Centerboard: A 500 lb. bronze foil-shaped centerboard is raised and lowered by a Hinckley worm-type electric lift with manual override.
More Deck Features:
- Large center cockpit and private “back porch” aft cockpit (with direct access to aft master cabin)
- Double lifelines with port and starboard gates (new 2013)
- Deck trim, toe rails and grab rails along the cabin trunk are varnished teak.
- Hatches have translucent Plexiglas tops.
- Two dorade boxes are located forward of the main mast (cowls removed for dinghy cradle).
- Custom HRH folding boarding ladder at port lifeline gate for easy access from dinghy or water
- Stainless steel dinghy davits off transom
- Custom folding teak and stainless steel passerelle for Med-mooring (2010)
- Custom varnished teak seats mounted on either side of mizzen mast – possibly the best seats in the house when underway.
MAIN and AFT COCKPITS:
The sole of both the aft and main cockpits have removable varnished teak grating.
The spacious center cockpit is located amidship with large seats and high coamings.
- The coaming surrounding is capped with varnished teak.
- Cockpit cushions with seat back cushions and throw pillow provide a very comfortable seating area with great visibility (cockpit cushions replaced 2012)
- A new dodger and bimini provide protection from the elements with removable side and back enclosure (2015)
- HRH teak cockpit folding table with canvas cover
- Raymarine ST60 wind, instruments mounted over companionway
- B&G speed and depth instrument
- New Yanmar tachometer and engine gauges mounted over companionway
The helm is equipped with Hinckley pedestal steering with mounted binnacle compass:
- Painted destroyer-type wheel and engine controls
- Stainless steel pedestal guard
- Raymarine color multifunction display at helm
- Emergency tiller is provided.
Located aft of the owner’s stateroom with access through a pair of companionway hatch doors. A dodger provides protection from the elements. The cockpit sides are equipped with locker doors allowing storage outboard under the deck.
NAVIGATION and ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT
- Danforth compass at helm
- Woods Freeman Autopilot
- Raymarine RL70C color chartplotter/radar at helm
- Raymarine ST60 wind instrument
- B&G Depth and Speed instruments
- Raymarine ST60 instrument repeater at Nav Station
- Datamarine depth system as backup
- Garmin handheld back-up GPS with 12v outlet at helm
- Standard Horizon VHF - in cockpit
- Raytheon Ray 55 VHF - at Nav Station
- Furuno Navtex
- SEA 235 HF SSB transmitter/receiver
Entertainment System (main salon):
- Samsung flat-screen Television
- CD Player
- Alpine AM/FM stereo Radio
Sleeps six in three cabins. The interior is finished in varnished mahogany with varnished teak and holly sole.
Some interior features include:
- All the window ports have been rebedded, glass replaced as needed and new seals installed on opening portlights (2015).
- Air conditioning
- Curtains throughout
- All ports are opening.
- Heads are white for ease of cleaning
- Galley and head countertops are Formica.
LAYOUT and VESSEL WALKTHROUGH:
- Master Aft Suite - with head
- Forward Stateroom
- Forward Head
- Main Cabin area – includes Main Salon and Navigation Station
OWNER’S MASTER SUITE (Aft):
- Large double berth is starboard of the companionway to the aft cockpit.
- (2) Large hanging lockers
- 4-drawer dresser
- Custom-made bed linens and curtains.
- Temperpedic mattress
- Full-length mirror on back of main passage door
- Custom locker with Splendide 2000 washer/dryer
- Custom lockers and shelving to port of the companionway to the aft cockpit.
Ensuite OWNER’S HEAD is forward to starboard.
- Vanity with formica countertop and a sink
- Separate stall shower with tile details
- Ample storage in lockers below sink and forward of head
- Jabsco electric head
Private companionway access aft to the Owner’s Cockpit and the aft deck.
Next forward to port, inboard/outboard Galley is out of the way of the main cabin and gives good access to the Owner’s cabin as well.
Fully-equipped Galley features:
- Inboard and outboard countertops with abundant counter space
- Three burner propane stove and oven
- Microwave oven
- Large 12-volt Grunert refrigerator/freezer – countertop hatch accessed
- Raritan icemaker
- More than ample storage is provided over and under the countertops.
- Large stainless steel double sink
The Main Cabin is forward of the Galley.
- The companionway to the center cockpit is aft center
- Starboard is aft access to the insulated Engine Room and the Nav Station is outboard.
- The full- width Main Salon is forward.
Engine Room: Acoustically insulated, the engine room has the 110-volt distribution panel, and gives excellent access to work on pumps, main engine, etc.
Navigation Station: Aft starboard outboard is the outboard-facing nav station with a large nav desk for chart storage.
- Electronics are mounted outboard
- L-shaped cushioned settee with mahogany trim to port with straight settee opposite on starboard. Both settees convert to berths.
- Custom mahogany table with fold-up leafs
- Settee cushions - replaced 2014.
- Locker storage is over outboard the settees and outboard of seat back cushions
- Custom book shelves outboard of port settee
- Forward to starboard is a hanging locker
- Clock and barometer
Entertainment system includes:
- Samsung flat screen television
- CD player
- Alpine AM/FM stereo radio
The Forward Head is next forward to port.
- Vanity formica countertop with sink and fixtures
- New Jabsco electric head and macerator pump 2015
- Storage outboard and under the vanity.
- Hinged “laundry locker” in counter
- Hand held shower
Forward is accessed from the main cabin or the forward head.
- Large V-berth
- Custom linens.
- Hanging locker
- Storage drawers
- Outboard shelves
- Forward access to forepeak chain locker and storage
- Large custom Hinckley overhead hatch provides excellent natural light and ventilation
SAILS and RIGGING
- Hood Stoway main and mizzen masts (masts painted 2012)
- Electric Hood furler on main mast
- Stainless standing rigging (replaced 2008)
- Hood roller furling headsail system
- Main – Doyle in mast furling (2007)
- Genoa – Doyle on Hood Sea Furl (2007)
- Mizzen – Doyle in mast furling (2007)
12-volt DC and 115/220-volt AC system:
- Separate starting batteries for starting main engine and generator with parallel device for emergency starting
- Separate house battery bank and bow thruster battery
- All batteries replaced 2015
- Alternator for charging batteries
- Circuit breakers protect all circuits and may be used to switch all circuits off
- Xantrex battery charger (2012)
110 Volt shore power system:
- Shore power inlet with shore cord
- Rigging, engine, electronics, electrical systems are all bonded to the keel by heavy copper strapping.
Generator: Northern Lights 8kW generator (New in 2007, 893-hours 7/15)
Transformer (installed 2000) with shore power connection for European power (boat can be plugged into shore power either in the US or EU power sources.
2000 Yanmar 4LH DTE 170-hp diesel engine (approximately 1600 hours - 7/2015):
- Drive shaft replaced 2008
- Drip-less shaft seal (replaced 2008)
- 3-bladed fixed propeller
- Vetus Bow thruster
- Fireboy Automatic fire extinguisher system in engine compartment
- PUR Watermaker
- (2) Electric bilge pumps (one automatic with manual override, one with manual switch
- Manual bilge pump
- Shower sump pump
- Water pressure pump
- Salt water washdown pump
- Reverse-cycle air conditioning system
- Hot water heater
- Splendide 2000 washer/dryer
Replaced in the last five years: fresh water pump, macerator pumps, fuel transfer pumps, forward holding tank pump
All seacocks serviced and new stainless steel hoseclamps in 2015.
Ground Tackle system:
- Electric windlass
- HRH stainless steel bow roller & chock
- 60# CQR anchor with 425’ anchor chain
- Navigation lights
- Dock lines
- Boarding ladder
- Custom Trinka hard dinghy with custom stainless steel cradle on foredeck and 2013 Yamaha 2.5 HP outboard
- Winslow 4-person valise life raft (2006) – inspected 2015
- Electric horn
- Bolt cutters
- Emergency tiller
- Custom full boat winter cover (2008)
- Extensive covers for exterior teak including toerail (2008)
- Extensive set of spares and tools
- Extensive collection of charts, cruising guides, chart chips for Mediterranean.