1998 Saga 43 SHOAL DRAFT
** SOLD **
OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS I HAVE SOLD 6 SAGA 43s in New Bern, NC. Sellers are bringing them to me to sell. Sell yours? Contact me for details.
Pandora is very well equipped blue water sailing vessel ready for cruising with a full complement of instruments, communication and alternate power generating sources (solar, battery charger and high output alternator on main power plant). This boat has everything needed to leave the dock and go cruising.
Popular layout with a Pullman main berth in master stateroom with memory foam on top of mattress, vanity and sink in forward head. Two heads and three showers, one of the three showers is a cockpit shower.
43 feet long on deck, 12 foot beam, and 5’9” draft when loaded for cruising – additional factory ballast added by current owner. The 39 feet of waterline can approach an amazing 40’ when slightly heeled up underway and makes for a very fast 43' boat. The shallow draft option allows for cruising in the Bahamas, certain cruising areas in the U. S. and other parts of the world where deeper draft boats are often limited or cannot go.
The factory option radar arch by Klacko Marine (factory original) was added by current owner in 2011 and is an excellent platform for mounting solar panels, bimini, wind generator, radar, antennas and integrated dinghy davits. The arch design flows smoothly into the sleek lines of the boat whether using the davits carrying the dinghy out of the water or folded into the lines of the arch when not in use. The davits are barely visible unlike many davit systems when up and not in use. The ease of lifting a dingy out of the water using a single line to the power winch makes this davit system very useful and the common cruising chore of lifting and deploying the dinghy more easily accomplished in a moment.
Recent Key Upgrades
- Radar arch with integrated SAGA original davit single line to power winch from Klacko Marine. Added this feature but it was constructed by the same company that did all of the SAGA stainless construction.
- Keel shoe from Mars Metals added to shoal draft keel to improve performance done prior to taking delivery as it makes the boat considerably stiffer and perform better while only adding ¾” of draft. Raised the waterline accordingly to accommodate a fully loaded boat for cruising.
- 520 watts of solar, with “smart” regulator, with a 700ah gel house bank, for true “off the grid” electrical independence. The panels are bolted directly to the bimini and are affixed to the side rails which make the entire structure quite rigid and secure.
- Technautics refrigeration with large cold plate in separate deep freezer. This is dedicated to the freezer which is kept at 10 degrees. There is also a dedicated Nova-Cool unit for the refrigerator. There are LED lights in both the freezer and refrigeration compartments.
- Expanded full width 8’ Harken jib traveler with Klacko custom hardware. This makes the jib much more efficient. To my knowledge, there are only two boats with this feature.
- Klacko stainless steel trim rings on fixed ports. Without these custom rings, the fixed ports are prone to leaking. It’s an important upgrade and there has never been a drop of water since their installation.
- Custom fiberglass holding tanks for added capacity made these out of fiberglass under the direction of a custom fiberglass company and larger than the original ones that SAGA installed.
- Mast and boom Awlgrip 2010. The paint on the mast was a weak spot from SAGAs and any that have not had the mast repainted will need to.
- All standing rigging and lifelines replaced 2010. This was done professionally in anticipation of more blue water sailing. Not many owners replace standing rigging until they have a failure.
- Tides Marine custom rudder bearings and lip seal 2012.
- Espar heater 2014. There are outlets in the aft cabin, heads, forward stateroom and the main salon. The thermostat is digital so you can set the temperature and the length of time you want it to run. It’s brand new with very few hours of operation as it was only installed in August.
- Autoprop 3 blade self-pitching and feathering, September 2014. This allows for about 15% better fuel economy than my Max Prop, and is amazingly smooth running. With a clean bottom cruising speed, at less than one gallon per hour is 7.2kts at 2,000rpm and 8kts at 2,500rpm.
- Bottom taken down to bare gelcoat, two coats of Pettit epoxy barrier coat and two coats Pettit Trinidad antifouling, 2013.
- Custom aft cabin pantry. Converted the aft hanging locker into a pantry and used varnished cherry throughout so that it would look just like the factory finishing elsewhere on the boat.
- Custom side panels and aft bug screen (2012)
- Isotherm high efficiency stainless steel 12 gal water heater. Keeps water hot for 24 hours. (2011)
- All LED lighting including deck level and tricolor running lights.
- Red LED lights in aft head, galley and throughout main cabin.
- Cabin sole fully wooded and re-varnished (2009)
Over $50,000 in recent upgrades, not counting labor on many of the items installed to make PANDORA the best she can be.
Entering from the cockpit through the companionway and down a few stairs you enter the sailboat living area. The entire interior of Pandora features beautiful hand crafted, satin varnished cherry wood interior with teak and holly floors, stripped and varnished 2010 and coordinated Ultra-Suede upholstery fabric. Along the starboard side is the large “U” shaped galley with ample storage and counter top space. To port is the entrance into the guest cabin which has a king sized berth. Further forward is the head with a separate shower stall and shower seat. The main salon features port and starboard settees and a beautiful center line folding dinette table, which can be lifted on either the port or starboard sides. On the starboard side forward of the galley is the navigational station large enough to use standard chart books. Further forward is the master stateroom with Pullman berth to port, queen sized foam mattress. The forward head included stainless sink, shower and ample mirrored storage on port and starboard. The master offers two cedar lined hanging lockers, under bed drawers and vanity mirror and changing table. The interior shows the outstanding and beautiful hand rubbed and varnished cherry wood interior and the teak and holly floors. All port holes are stainless steel. The settees in the main salon were refinished with medium cream/mustard Ultra-Suede in 2012. The main salon features overhead handrails and ample storage cabinets. Several opening ports and overhead hatches allow both natural light and ventilation.
- Two manual Jabsco heads
- Kohler SS faucets
- Diesel heater outlet in aft shower stall for drying foul weather gear.
- Custom vanity mirror installed outboard of sink, aft head.
- Large “U” shaped galley along the starboard side offers a great food preparation and cooking area that will please any discriminating chef.
- Double stainless steel sink
- Illuminated top loading 12 volt Nova Cool refrigerator with dedicated cooling coils and compressor
- Top loading illuminated freezer has an independent 12 volt Technautics cold plate "Cool Blue System"
- Par water pump system and an integrated expansion tank with spare pump
- Storage cabinets above countertop
- Storage drawers
- Freshwater foot pump
- Propane 3 burner Force 10 stove top with thermostatic oven and broiler
- Spice rack above counter top and behind refrigerator
- Built in compact microwave oven
- Large custom pantry with fiddles and shelves on door in aft cabin for galley supplies.
- Cooking pot storage under oven.
- Corian counter tops with fiddles
- Lightning grounded protection system
- Deluxe 12 volt and 120 volt electrical distribution panel with hinged access
- Magnetic circuit breakers, volt and amp meters and battery monitoring system
- 30 amp shore power cord
- Link 1000 battery monitor systems at Navigation Station
- 120 amp engine alternator with smart regulato
- 4 4D Gel batteries 700ah capacity new in 2015
- Dedicated 12 volt engine Group 27 start battery new in 2013
- 4 Kiocera 130 solar panels 520 watts total added 2010
- Xantrex, modified sinewave 3000 watt inverter with 100 amp battery charger
- Outback Power Systems MX60 PV MPPT, “smart charger” solar controller
- High efficiency Isotherm stainless 11 gallon hot water heater with 110v input and engine heat exchanger
- Balmar Max Charge MC-614 engine voltage regulator
- LED lights throughout interior
- LED tricolor and anchor light
- Clarion AM/FM radio with USB and MP3 adaptor (2010) Stereo speakers in salon and cockpit
- Espar forced air diesel heater with upgraded digital controller. 5 outlets/all cabins new in 2014
Electronics and Helm
- Ritchie compass at helm with cover (Rebuilt by factory in 2012)
- Horizon Matrix GX 2150 VHF radio with RAM microphone at helm and integrated AIS receiver
- Raytheon 24 mile Radar at Helm Station
- Raymarine E-80 Chartplotter at helm
- Raymarine ST-6000+ autopilot Raymarine wind instrument Raymarine (Speed, Depth and Log) with repeaters at helm station
- Bitstorm High Power Wi-Fi antenna, Ethernet system, Power over Ethernet connected to router for onboard Wi-Fi
- Heavy duty upgraded sound insulation in engine compartment including extra insulation added by owner.
- Engine room and cockpit locker work lights
- Yanmar 4JH 56 HP, 4 cylinder diesel with 3,500 hours.
- Injectors and entire engine recently serviced
- New raw water pump
- Recessed Yanmar engine controls and covered instrument panel in cockpit
- Kanzaki reduction gear.
- Single lever control for throttle and transmission
- Quick drain oil change pump on engine for easy oil change.
- Racor primary 4 micron filter and secondary on engine.
- Stainless steel shaft with dripless seal with spare seal on shaft. Shaft removed and serviced in 2013
- Spurs warp cutter
- Emergency tiller
- Two manual bilge pumps, aft cockpit and under floor in galley
- 1,700 GPH Electric bilge pump with automatic float switch
- Three blade Autoprop added in 2013
- Fuel capacity - 70 gallons
- Water capacity - 135 gallons
- Holding tanks, custom fiberglass - 20 gallons forward/30 gallons aft added in 2013
- Tides Marine upgraded three position rudder bearings with lip seal added in 2013
- Sail Area: I-58.7 ft., JC-18.25 ft., J-15.66 ft., E-16.50 ft., P-51 ft.
- Offshore Spars aluminum mast and boom Awlgrip painted in 2010
- Keel stepped double spreader mast
- Stainless steel rigging new in 2010
- Removable inner forestay with aft runners for storm jib
- Harken roller furling for genoa
- Harken roller furling for jib
- Harken 40 2-speed winch on cabin top starboard side with 4 sheet stopper
- Harken 40 2-speed electric winch on port cabin top with 4 sheet stoppers
- Quantum full battened Dacron main with three reefs, 2008 with Harken Batt-Car system
- Harken 32 2 speed winch on starboard mast
- Harken 35 2 speed winch on port mast for 3rd reef control.
- Quantum Dacron/mylar genoa 145%
- Quantum storm jib 2010. Never used.
- Harken adjustable mainsheet traveler for mid-sheeted boom
- Jib traveler extended to a full 8’ with custom hardware
- Forespar mechanical rod vang
- Halyards and reef lines all lead to cockpit
- 145% genoa forward and 100% inner jib
- Spaghetti boxes for halyards and reef line tails in cockpit coaming
- Spectra preventers on boom
- Harken 53 primary winches
- Lofrans Progress II 1500 watt electric windlass with foot controls
- Stainless steel bowsprit
- 2 stainless steel anchor rollers
- CQR 45lb (re-galvanized 2010) anchor with 150’ 3/8 inch SS chain rode.
- CQR 35 lb. anchor, 25 feet of 5/16 chain and 175 feet of 5/8 inch line.
- Shur-Flo anchor saltwater wash down system at bow
- 8 heavy duty cast stainless steel framed opening ports
- 4 fixed stainless steel framed ports
- 7 Lewmar “Ocean Series” hatches with screens
- 30 inch stainless steel stanchions with double life-lines (uncoated lines replaced in 2010)
- Tan Sunbrella dodger and bimini with side curtains and rear screens.
- Edson steering pedestal with Richie compass
- 4 integral fiberglass dorade boxes with stainless steel cowls and guards
- Slotted Aluminum toe rail with vinyl insert
- Removable helm seat revealing walk through to swim platform
- Transom door to platform with stainless steel swim ladder
- Cockpit hot and cold shower
- Run-through foam cockpit cushions covering entire cockpit.
- Custom dinghy davits integrated with radar arch single line lift and deploy to electric winch
- Port and Starboard boarding gate
A fastidious owner has kept PANDORA like new with constant upgrades and maintenance second to none. If you are looking for a blue water sailboat, cruising sailboat or live aboard, you owe it to yourself to see PANDORA. Absolutely no disappointments!
* Engine hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.