1983 Pearson 424
** SOLD **
The Pearson 424 is a classic cruising yacht intended to satisfy the timeless requirements of a knowledgeable owner. The cutter design and interior accommodations allow for a crowd or just a cruising couple to relax and cruise in style and comfort.
The 424s sailing performance is legendary with an admirable number of high finishes on the racing circuit. 424 owners have taken her from cruising the east coast to cruising as far away as the Antarctic Ocean and Patagonia. While faraway places may not be on your itinerary, making fast passages and having the ability to outrun storms, and having on-deck and below deck comfort over extended periods are an important function of cruising boat design. The 424 has proven herself time and time again.
The seller has owned WINDWARD STAR for many years and over the last several years he has suffered some health setbacks which have forced him to place her on the market. She will need some general clean-up and TLC. The Westerbeke engine was just serviced and runs great.
The unique layout of this 424 is consistent with PLAN B; however, the forward stateroom offers an ensuite head and shower along the starboard side while the hanging locker and storage is to port.
Beautiful teak wood and joinery bring out the beauty of the teak and holly sole throughout the interior.
Entering either the port or starboard side deck via the boarding gates you can easily maneuver fore or aft with little effort. The cockpit is large and offers seating for a crowd. There are lazarettes port and starboard, as well as under the helm seat. Outboard are winch alcoves. Aft is a folding swim ladder for easy access in and out of the water. The helm offers a panoramic view of the surroundings and all electronics and engine controls are within easy reach. There is a white Sunbrella bimini and dodger as well as close foam cushions. Entry is down a few steps and into the aft cabin. Behind the companionway and ladder is the engine compartment. Access to the aft sections of the engine are gained by either the port or starboard cockpit lazarettes. Along the starboard side is a wet hanging locker and the navigation station with electronics and the electrical panel. To port is a double berth with ample storage and cabinets. The entire cabin can be closed off with a privacy door. Forward and to port is the “U” shaped galley area with double stainless steel sinks, ample counter top and storage cabinets, and an in-counter deep refrigerator and freezer. The galley opens into the large salon so the onboard cook can easily communicate with guests or crew. Across from the galley is a large head with separate shower stall. Further forward is the main salon with deck access through an amidships companionway. Outboard is a large hanging locker. The salon area features port and starboard settees with storage under the bottom cushions and behind the upper cushions. The settee will each convert into a 6’ 6” berths. Outboard are louvered lockers and bookshelves and there is a luxurious main cabin folding teak table. Further forward is the guest stateroom with a large over-sized V-Berth with a filler cushion and outboard shelves. Aft and to starboard is the ensuite head with stainless steel sink and a hand held shower. To starboard is a large hanging locker and storage. All the way forward is access into the anchor locker.
Excellent ventilation with 10 opening ports, 4 opening hatches, 4 inch dorade for the head and galley area and 3 inch dorade for the forepeak. There are screens for hatches, ports and companionways.
The U Shaped galley is large and offers excellent food preparation and storage spaces to please even the most discriminating chef.
- Double stainless steel sinks and faucet
- Hand pump for fresh water and foot pump for raw water
- Hillerange 3 burner gimbaled propane stove top and oven
- Bass Products propane solenoid with tanks in aft lazarette
- Sea Frost water cooled 12 volt refrigerator/freezer with thermostat controlled
- Countertops with teak fiddles
- Black acrylic sliding door storage outboard
- Storage cabinets and drawers
- Stainless steel and teak bow pulpit with double stainless steel rollers
- Simpson Lawrence Sea Wolf 520 electric anchor windlass with foot controls
- Delta plow anchor with chain and rope rode
- Large anchor locker in bow with hause pipe to storage
- Stainless steel stanchions and double coated life lines
- Aluminum cleats and deck hardware
- Aft cockpit folding teak and stainless steel swim ladder
- Port and starboard boarding gates
- Teak toe rails
- Cabin top teak trim with teak handrails
- Teak rub rails with stainless steel inserts
- White Sunbrella bimini and dodger
- Stainless steel pole with mounted radar dome and TV antennas
- Cockpit closed foam cushions for seating
- Port and starboard cockpit stanchion mounted horseshoe brackets
- Stainless steel removable dingy davits mounted on stern
- Ritchie compass
- Datamarine wind and speed indicator
- Datamarine speed and direction indicator
- Datamarine depth indicator
- Standard Horizon GPS mounted on swivel for cockpit or navigation statin viewing
- Raytheon Raster Scan radar display built-in along starboard lazarette
- Raytheon Raster Scan 48 mile radar dome mounted on stainless steel pole
- Raymarine ST6000 autopilot control
- Standard Horizon Eclipse VHF radio with DSC
- Vaesu SSB radio at navigation station
- Alpeco VXL 5120 VHF radio at navigation station
- Datamarine travel log at navigation station
Sails and Rigging
- (2) Lewmar 48 two speed, self-tailing primary winches in cockpit
- (2) Lewmar 30 two speed, self-tailing winches in cockpit for main sheet and staysail
- (3) Lewmar 16, two speed, self-tailing halyard winches on mast
- Self-tailing staysail
- Running backstays
- Harkin roller furling for genoa and jib
- Mast mounted whisker pole
- Main sail traveler with cockpit control and winch
- Sail area on original brochure is 726 sq. ft.
The electric panel is located above the navigation station.
- 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC power with panel circuit breakers
- 12 volt and 120 volt panel volt and amp meters
- 30 amp shore power cords with adapters/splitters
- 11 gallon hot water heater with heat exchanger
- Mermaid 16,000 BTU reverse cycle AC and heating with salon electronic control
- AM/FM/CD player in main salon with remote speakers
- House and start batteries in aft lazarette
- 60 Amp battery charger
Engine access is behind the companionway while access to the V-drive transmission is under the aft cabin cockpit sole.
- Westerbeke M60, 58 hp fresh water cooled engine serviced 2/15
- V-Drive transmission
- Engine instrumentation in cockpit with water temp, oil pressure, volts and tachometer
- Stainless steel engine and transmission controls at helm
- Edson painted pedestal with stainless steel destroyer steering wheel
- Quick-Drain oil exchanging system for main engine
- Stainless steel shaft with conventional packing gland
- Racor primary fuel filter
A great boat that will please her new owner with some elbow grease and minor TLC.
* Engine hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.