1978 Herreshoff 28
L. Francis Herreshoff designed this beauty and the seller purchased copies of her original drawings from Mystic Seaport in 2007. She was built by Brinkley Boats at the Greg Hudson & Company in Huntington, Long Island, New York in 1978.
Orion sleeps four, the main cabin accommodating two in single bunks on either side. The v-berth forward sleeps two. The galley is located aft. The head is a cedar bucket. The woodwork
is teak and holly sole with pine ceilings.
There have been many improvements over the years; the following description identifies these improvements (with dates) within various categories..........
- Floor is varnished teak and holly.
- Side trim and bulkheads are varnished pine and teak.
- Ice box was custom built into space designed for a wood stove and is finished in varnished teak with bi-fold top that serves as a chart table.
- Storage locker opposite also custom built into boat with varnished teak bi-fold top and very spacious shelving.
- Stainless sink with foot pump for single spigot (all plumbing replaced in 2012).
- Hanging locker.
- Two shelved storage lockers; large hull locker and book shelf along each cabin berth.
- Newly installed bulkhead sconces above each berth for reading.
- Ceiling lamp in v-berth and two in main cabin for night time lighting.
- Custom built and matching berth pillows and bumpers in traditional marine fabric and pattern.
DECK AND HULL (FIBERGLASS)
- Deck is white non-skid
- Topsides are black (Awl-gripped in 2012).
- Bottom was soda-blasted and sanded to bare fiberglass and professionally coated with 6 layers of paint (top-coats are Interlux micron CSC Green).
- Cabin top is 1" varnished teak with bronze oval opening window ports with screens.
- Toe rail and cockpit seats/backs are varnished teak.
- Mast is sitka spruce (professionally stripped and layered with 8 coats of varnish in 2010).
- All deck hardware is bronze
- Lifeline stanchions and bases are bronze
- Lifelines are parcelled and seized with traditional tarred seizing.
- Cockpit sole is custom built teak floor boards.
- Cockpit seats are varnished teak locker covers with varnished seat backs in teak.
- A new tiller tender stored in the starboard cockpit seat locker can be quickly set up and provide hands free passage on most tacks except close-hauled in a seaway.
ENGINE and MECHANICAL
- Fresh Water Cooled
- Sea Strainer: Bronze Internal
- Exhaust System: Raw Water Cooled through Hose and FRP Water Lift Muffler
- Electrical System: Alternator
- Ventilation: Natural
- Reduction Gear: Volvo
- Engine Beds: Oak
- Instruments and Monitoring (New Stewart Warner Gauges)
- Controls: Volvo Single Lever Cable
- Shaft: 1" Aquamet
- Coupling: Steel Flange
- Stuffing Box: Bronze/Flax Packing Gland
- Bearings: Cutlass Strut, Cast Bronze
Propeller, 3 blade Maxi-Prop
- All wiring was replaced and new breaker panel in 2007.
- Knot Log Depth
- Furuno Chart Plotter
- Tiller mate (Raymarine)
- Custom Electric Windlass installed 2007
- Running Lights
- Anchor Light
- Interior Cabin lights
- 2 12 volt (DC) Batteries
- New engine panel in 2004.
- Sloop Rig with mast step on deck.
- All hardware for mizzen mast and mizzen boom available (if desired) with step for mizzen in place; all running rigging and mizzen sail with cover to match main and jib.
- Professionally modified self tending custom jib (Roller Furling and Forestay Foil available in separate inventory if desired).
- Dacron Mainsail (good condition, professionally cleaned and repaired every season).
- Three reef points on main.
- Custom built (Sperry Sails) self- tending jib new in 2010.
- Matching sail covers in traditional buff Sunbrella fabric.
- All running rigging is traditional white 3-strand line appropriately sized.
- Two cockpit winches, one on each side mounted outboard of the seat coaming.
- All interior cabin/berth cushions custom built [new] in 2007
- Cockpit cushions custom built [new] in 2007.
- Covering is buff Sunbrella
- Three anchors available - Traditional Danforth installed on cabin top.
- Custom bronze windlass designed and manufactured for Orion by Ideal Windlass in East Greenwich, CT (electric controls at the helm and foot switch forward next to the windlass).
- 300 feet of 3/8 inch chain in chain locker fed through custom chain pipe with cover;
bronze chain stopper and custom bronze bow roller.
- Plow, Fisherman's Anchors
- Horseshoe Ring
- Boat Hook
The engine make is a Volvo diesel. The engine has two alternators; one each for the engine battery and the house battery. There is a Lifesling battery charger.
************** BUYER ALERT**************
There is a survey (August 2014) available upon showing.
Please submit any and ALL offers - your offer may be accepted! Submit your offer today!
At POP Yachts, we will always provide you with a TRUE representation of every vessel we market. We encourage all buyers to schedule a survey for an independent analysis. Any offer to purchase is ALWAYS subject to satisfactory survey results.
Take a look at ALL ***65 PICTURES*** of this vessel on our main website at POPYACHTS DOT COM. Thank you for visiting and we look forward to speaking with you!
- Stock #48747