1997 Hinckley Sou'wester 42 MKII Sloop
Once in a great while a Hinckley will come to market and it will stand alone from all the rest. BLACK WATCH is that boat.
At first glance she may look like a classic Sou’wester 42 MKII, but a deeper look at these specifications reveals a vessel that is customized in many ways. The result is a rare, multipurpose yacht that can satisfy any discerning yachtsmen’s needs.
Offered for the first time by the original owner and an exceptional opportunity for any sailing enthusiast.
From conception to execution there were no compromises made in building BLACK WATCH. She was conceived, designed and crafted to be a unique Sou’wester 42 MKII. Her long list of custom enhancements raise the already high standards of this successful Hinckley model to an even higher level.
With her Flag Blue hull and off-white deck and house, varnished toe rails and polished stainless hardware, she has all the elegance that make Hinckleys turn heads in any harbor. In this respect she will always be recognized as a timeless classic.
But look even deeper into her specifications and you discover features like a rare Honduras mahogany interior, (unavailable today), with satin and high gloss tung oil varnish finish, Ralph Lauren fabrics throughout, and a galley to satisfy even a gourmet chef. BLACK WATCH has all the options to make her a luxurious sailing vessel that will take any family safely, and comfortably to ports around the world.
Beneath the surface, (and below the waterline), BLACK WATCH goes many steps further. Her custom laminated hull of Kevlar and S-glass, her S-glass deck, and specially cored bulkheads, together with her carbon fiber spar, boom and adjustable spinnaker pole reduce her overall weight by more than a ton over the standard SW42. Put this together with a custom fixed keel, carbon rudder post and carbon rudder faired to the hull and you have one of the slipperiest Hinckley’s afloat. Set up to be easily sailed short-handed, and an exceptional performer even in the lightest air, she tempts one to grab that day sail or reach a destination while others are wallowing or under power.
BLACK WATCH is also set up to compete in major off-shore events like the Newport to Bermuda Race. When it is time to put together a group of sailing friends for competition, BLACK WATCH is ready with sails and sail handling systems. She has already served as the Flagship of the prestigious New York Yacht Club.
From the day she was launched, BLACK WATCH has been maintained, upgraded and babied by her original owner and The Hinckley Company and is a joy to sail whether cruising or racing. Very lightly used in recent years, she is in top condition and ready to be enjoyed by someone who appreciates the very best.
HULL and DECK
- Topsides: Flag Blue Awlgrip
- House & Deck: Off-White gelcoat w/Matterhorn nonskid molded in nonskid
- Bootstripe: Double Off-White
- Cove: Gold leaf
- Bottom: Gray Baltiplate – with smooth race finish
- Exterior trim: Varnished teak
The Hull is a composite construction of Kevlar/S-glass for added strength, impact resistance and weight reduction. Inner and outer skins, with foam core that is SCRIMPed with a 100% vinylester Resin. The Deck is S-glass and balsa core, SCRIMPed with 100% vinylester resin.
The hull is laid up with a 4" recessed flange to receive the deck which is bonded to this surface with reinforced polyester adhesive and thru-bolted on 8' centers with additional fastenings in the area of toe rail tracks, thus assuring a strong, permanent and watertight hull/deck joint.
- Custom Keel: 8’ molded lead 9,000 lb. keel, secured to the hull with 1" stainless steel bolts.
- Spade rudder: Carbon rudder and post faired to hull for less drag
- Marelon ball-valve type seacocks are flush with the hull.
- All 316L stainless steel deck hardware
- Custom fabricated light weight polished 316L stainless steel stem iron
- Stainless steel bow and stern pulpits, with removable integrated stern folding teak tread boarding/swim ladder
- Stainless steel stanchions with double lifelines and port and stbd boarding gates
- Double-side opening hatches with white plexiglass covers.
- Forward partitioned anchor locker has direct drainage to the bilge.
- Varnished teak, double dorade box with two dorade ventilators with closures and a small covered storage area between
- Saltwater deck wash – bow spigot
- All removable stainless steel bow roller, bar over forward double dorades and fore and aft mooringcleats.
- Custom Radar deck mount – Stern, removable carbon fiber pole mount
- Masthead includes a 5-function tri-color 360° masthead light, windex and VHF mounts.
Set up for ORC Category 1: Manual bilge pump in cockpit & below cabin sole, Mast mechanically fastened to mast step and companionway lockage from above and below decks.
SAILS and RIGGING
Custom Deck Layout – Lewmar aluminum winches and Harken tracks
- Custom Carbon spar by Hall: Two carbon spreader rig with carbon tri-sect masthead and carbon boom– painted to match deck
- Navtec stainless steel rod rigging with turnbuckle covers
- Tuff luff racing headstay, (currently on mast)
- Harken Mk II roller furling headstay ( in storage)
- Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster - with remote panel in cockpit – with pump handle
- Lower running backstay with deflector adjustment
- Babystay adjuster
- Aft main sheet traveler with Harken blocks/rigging
- Harken stainless steel genoa tracks
- Hall quickvang
- Hall carbon fiber adjustable spinnaker pole – with spinnaker gear
- Reaching strut
- 5 Winch handles
(10) Lewmar winches – deck and cockpit mounted
- (2) #60 manual primary winches – 3-speed, self-tailing
- (2) #50 manual secondary winches – 2-speed, self-tailing
- (6) #44 self-tailing winches
SAILS: All North sails
- Cruising Main (on slides) - Full batten, Dacron
- Cruising Genoa 135% - w/sun screen – roller furling
- Genoa staysail 65% - Kevlar paneled - w/roller furler/wire luff/halyard/deck fitting
- 3DL GP Main – 3DL16800 (current racing main)
- 3DL 144% AP Medium Jib - 3DL M 16800 (Current AP Genoa)
- #4 Dacron Jib – NorDac
- Code Zero – 3.2 Norlam
- VMG Spinnaker 1S – 30/20 nylon
- Running Spinnaker 2S - .6 poly
- Reaching Spinnaker 3S – 1.5 Norlon
- Storm Jib – NorDac
- Storm Trysail - NorDac
The aft T-shaped teak-capped cockpit coaming is wider adjacent to the wheel for comfortable outboard seating for the helmsman. The water-sealed opening cockpit seats have molded nonskid. The cockpit has a teak sole. The sail and equipment locker has a stainless steel line rack, a custom light and can be secured with a lock operated from the main cabin. Cockpit includes a propane locker with vent. There are four stainless steel trimmed winch pockets in the coaming.
Pedestal wheel steering has a large 46” stainless steel destroyer type wheel with an elkhide covered rim, SS guardrail, engine controls, watertight 12-volt outlet and a stainless steel housed 6” binnacle compass and binnacle guard. A helm step is recessed when not in use.
A complete range of engine instruments and switches are recessed in locations handy to the helmsman. Sailing instruments are above the companionway and on the mast and in the nav station.
- Dodger - White Sunbrella–with zipper forward window and stainless steel grab rail covered in elk hide.
- Cushions – White cockpit cushions
ELECTRONICS & NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT
- Ockam Grand Prix package: Ockam chips – rebuilt in 2010
- Depth, boat speed, windspeed apparent, heading, COG/SOG – over companionway
- Autohelm ST 7000 Autopilot in cockpit
- Northstar 941XD differential GPS/Chartplotter
- Garmin 4112 Plotter with GPS Antenna
- Garmin GMR 18 HD Radar
- VHF – ICOM M127 DSC radio
- SSB – ICOM M710 radio – with insulated backstay and AT-120 coupler
- Garmin GXM51 Weather receiver
- Datamarine Depth
- KVH Autocomp 1000
- Compass – Maretron - Heading sending, rate compass
- Ritchie 6” compass – binnacle
- NMEA plug for RS232 computer and GPS interface
- (2) Magnum large format remote displays for Ockam – mast mounted with SS guard over.
- Alpine AM/FM/CD/Cassette TDA 7552 stereo
- Overhead speakers at companionway with fader
- 1 speaker pair – Main salon
- TV/VCR, outlet, antenna
BLACK WATCH has a 42 MKII CUSTOM dinette arrangement that sleeps up to six in two cabins with a total of three separate sleeping areas. Finished in rare varnished mahogany with gloss highlights, with louvered door locker fronts, off- white formica overhead with dome lights and gloss varnished teak and holly sole throughout. All hanging lockers are cedar-lined. Integrated full-length handrails below the ports.
- Espar D3L diesel heater – with exhaust on deck, outlets in main salon, head and forward cabin
- (2) Double-opening overhead hatch with screen
- (6) Opening small ports with screens - provide extra light and ventilation.
- Fixed ports that provide illumination and visibility
- White-plexi-top companionway board slide
- Two screened dorade vents with closures
- 12-volt lighting includes Frigast lights
- Curtains rods all cabins with Ralph Lauren fabric curtains
- Cushions covered in Ralph Lauren fabrics
- Custom fitted sailing cushion covers
Forward access to the partitioned rope/chain forepeak storage area is through a louvered mahogany door. There is a separate private entrance to the head.
- Forward is a large V-berth with adapter to form a double berth
- Two large storage drawers under berth
- Sliding vented door lockers over berths outboard port and starboard
- There is a 3-drawer bureau to port and additional locker storage over
- Louvered door full-length cedar-lined hanging locker is to starboard with dome light.
- Two ports and a double opening hatch with screen and translucent cover
- Full-length mirror on inside of cabin door
- Frigast 12-volt lights and one dome halogen overhead
Next aft to port, the head is finished in Off-White gelcoat and varnished mahogany with mahogany locker doors and trim and easily cleaned. There is a screened opening port and a screened dorade vent opening with shut off.
- Mahogany epoxy-coated countertop with white porcelain sink
- Faucet with pull-out shower mixer, hot & cold pressure water
- Large one-shelf locker outboard with two mahogany varnished sliding doors.
- Manual marine head plumbed to a holding tank
- Separate custom teak seat cover – fold up out of the way - over marine head
- Stainless steel handrail/towel bars and clothes hooks
- Halogen light over sink lights
Amidships, this full-width cabin has a U-shaped Dinette to port with a centerline drop-leaf, dining table with bottle storage lift-out.
- Custom outboard dinette seat has an insert to form a double berth. There is storage behind this berth.
- Over outboard are two lockers with bookshelf between.
To Starboard: Forward is a full-length cedar-lined hanging locker with dome light. Aft of the hanging locker is a two-drawer cabinet with a locker above. Continuing aft there is a curved settee/transom berth that pulls inboard with storage behind and two lockers and center “hideaway” entertainment center over outboard.
- Two stereo speakers.
- There is an 110V outlet and TV antenna 12-volt outlet.
- Stainless steel Ocean Frigast lights, overhead dome lights.
Next to port, the Galley is separated from the main salon by a 5/8’s mahogany bulkhead.
The U-shaped Galley:
- Cameo White Corian countertop with molded backsplash, undermounted double stainless steel sink with one cover, faucet with hot & cold pressure water, manual freshwater hand pump.
- Gimbaled 3-burner stainless steel Force 10 propane stove with oven & broiler in a stainless steel enclosure with solenoid shut-off, and trap storage forward.
- Panasonic microwave (in storage) fits behind sliding doors outboard.
- Grunert DC-50 12-volt refrigeration system (engine drive compressor) with separate refrigeration/freezer box system entered through traps in the countertop allowing for plenty of counter workspace.
- Lockers, bin, shelves and drawer storage areas are available for foodstores and galleyware
- Pull-out trash bin and there is a built-in dustpan in the cabin sole.
- Cutting board, mug rack, knife rack
To port, opposite the galley and aft of the main salon settee is the forward-facing nav area separated by a partial bulkhead from the main salon.
- Opening nav table for storage of charts, as well as storage drawers and in a cushioned nav seat.
- Custom mahogany cabinet forward houses nav electronics
- Electrical panel and gauges
- Red/white dome light
- 110-volt outlet
- NMEA outlet for computer
- Nav instruments and electronics
The Quarterberth area is aft of the Nav Station with mahogany sheathing lining the area outboard. A single berth has storage lockers and bookshelf over outboard. The hot water tank is located in a locker at the aft end of the berth. Area includes a 12-volt stainless steel Ocean Frigast light, and an overhead dome light. A custom portlight opens to the cockpit.
COCKPIT COMPANIONWAY is aft, on center with white top companionway board set with screens and port and starboard handrails.
- Below the companionway threshold there is a custom locker for a substantial amount of equipment.
12 volt DC electrical system:
- Engine start: 500 cold-crank amp capacity batteries
- House: 380 amp/hr capacity – Gel Cell Prevailer batteries
- A dual output 140 amp alternator is mounted on the main engine.
- Emergency starting
110 volt AC System:
- Freedom 2012 Inverter Charger – Nav Station
- 110-volt outlets (galley, nav, head, V-berth, salon)
- 50-ft 30-amp shore cord and a pigtail, 30-50 adapter and inlet.
All circuits are circuit breaker protected at the nav station panel that is equipped with both voltmeter and ampmeter. Master switches are provided for starting and lighting circuits. All circuits, major mechanical components and rigging are grounded with heavy copper strapping to the keel and the mast is lightning protected as well.
- Yanmar 4JH-2E FWC 48-hp @ 3600 rpms diesel engine
- 2:1 reduction gear
- Aquamet 22 stainless steel shaft with spurs
- 2-blade feathering Maxi-prop.
- Racor fuel filter
- Remote fuel gauges
- Engine alarm oil/overheat, tachometer, oil & temperature
- Oil transfer pump
- Espar D3L heater – outlets in galley, dinette, head and forward cabin
- (1) 12-volt DC automatic electric bilge pump
- (2) Manual Edson bilge pumps – cockpit & cabin sold.
- Deckwash – Saltwater pressure system with spigot deck mounted – Jabsco 6900 pump
- Hot and cold pressure water system
- 12-gallon hot water tank - stainless steel, engine heated, 120V-AC element
- 3 Water tanks - 27 gallons-port, 55 gallons-stbd
- Marine manual flush head with 30-gal bladder holding tank and discharge pump – deck and overboard pumpout (and handle)
- Sealand Tank Watch II level monitor system
- Fiberglass sump tank with 12VDC pump discharge
- Engine room blower and acoustical insulation
- Tank Tender
- Simpson Lawrence Sprint 900 windlass – removable
- (1) Fortress FX23 anchor with rode with 15’ chain x 200’ nylon rode
- Emergency tiller
- MOM 8
- Lifesling w/light
- Horseshoe lifering with SS bracket
- Radar reflector
- Emergency VHF antenna
- Search light
- Ships bell
- Lee cloths/boards
- Wichard padeyes for safety harnesses – (2) helm pedestal & (2) companionway
- Varnished teak ensign staff
- (2) Boat hooks
- Cabin sole tool
- Batten insertion tools
- Screens for companionway hatch and all overhead hatches