- 38 (ft.)
- Bridge Clearance
- Hull Material
- Fuel Type
- Engine Model
- 210 hp 3208 Naturals
- Number of Engines
- Engine Type
- Engine Hours
UPDATE: Fresh Bottom Paint, New Batteries, Hull Buffed and Waxed - May 2014
Catch The Spirit is a well-maintained and tastefully-upgraded example of the 1985 Californian 38 Motor Yacht that blends the best economical attributes of a trawler with the lines and comfort of a classic motor yacht.
The owners have had their fun, can no longer use their yacht, and REASONABLE OFFERS ARE ENCOURAGED! Priced Below Fair Market Value!
If you are not familiar with Californian Yachts, you owe it to yourself to see the substantial quality differences in this Made-in-the-USA Yacht, compared to any in its class that were made in Taiwan. High quality 316 Stainless Steel, heavy gauge Aluminum fuel tanks raised high in the bilge and away from any saltwater, heavy-duty tinned copper electrical wiring and plumbing systems, solid hull and deck construction quality that meet or exceed ABYC American boat building standards. And, a fit-and-finish that rivals some of the best yacht brands in the world.
This 1985 Californian 38 Motor Yacht performs with the economy of a trawler because it is powered with twin fuel-efficient big-block CAT 3208 210 hp Naturally-Aspirated diesel engines with only 1,455 hours. Equipped with a 8 KW Westerbeke GenSet, and a 3-Zone CruiseAir Reverse A/C & heat system, this is the ideal yacht for island-cruising with a family of four or for a couple making the Great Loop.
Easily handled by a couple, this two stateroom, two head, yacht features a beautifully appointed varnished mahogany interior, custom marble countertops throughout, a very well-equipped galley with a large wood-paneled refrigerator with freezer and 3-burner stove with an oven, and generous storage cabinets and drawers. Recent Berber carpeting and upgraded upholstery on the large convertible L-shaped settee in the salon show as new. No leaks, No stains; but all the signs of a yacht that has been loved and cared-for by its knowledgeable owners.
The Sunbrella and U-Zip vinyl window-enclosed flybridge and aft deck, only separated by several steps, create additional living space and a comfortable environment with panoramic views for entertaining around the aft deck and flybridge with icemaker. The upgraded electronics include a Garmin 3206 Color GPS/Chartplotter/Radar and Sounder, plus the reliability of a Robertson AP-20 Autopilot, ICOM VHF Radio, and Datamarine Digital Depth sounder for redundancy.
If you are in the market for a trawler or motor yacht in this size and price range, call today to schedule a personal inspection. The owners want this Californian 38 to have a new home in the next few weeks, so don't hesitate to "make an offer they can't refuse!"
- This 1985 Californian 38 Motor Yacht is the Galley-up layout, affording the chef and guests in the large salon expansive views through the large windows with custom blinds throughout, and starboard side door leading to the side deck. Enter the varnished Mahogany-appointed Main Cabin via the starboard side door and the Galley is aft on the starboard side, with custom marble countertops, full appliances, and generous varnished Mahogany cabinetry. Alternatively, a companion-way aft and next to the refrigerator, leads to the spacious Sun-deck providing convenient access to serve meals and snacks to guests and crew at that level, or several steps up to the flybridge. Opposite in the neutral colored, Berber-carpeted salon is the L-shaped settee that converts to a queen size sleeper when needed. A teak hi-lo adjustable hinged table is versatile for dining or as a coffee table. All windows have custom blinds. Forward of the side door is the 12V/110V electrical panels with well-labeled circuit breakers behind a smoked Plexi-glass wood-framed cabinet door with storage shelves above. The Westerbeke GenSet Control Panel is located forward in the Main Salon to port of the companionway leading to the Guest state-room. Three CruiseAir reverse cycle air conditioning systems ensure a comfortable interior environment in all weather conditions. Centered to Aft in the salon are the companionway stairs, leading to the Aft Deck and Flybridge. Aft to port is the stairway leading down to the Master State-room with twin berths with new mattresses separated by a large teak desk/dresser that doubles as a night table with 6 storage drawers. To Port in front of the berth are two varnished Mahogany louvered-door, cedar-lined hanging lockers. Forward, adjacent to the stairs is another cedar-lined hanging locker. The Master Head is in the forward Stbd corner with a sliding Mahogany pocket door providing privacy when desired for the spacious head with private stall shower, vanity, sink, updated electric toilet, and several cabinets and drawers above and below for toiletries and linens. The Head also has teak and holley flooring, towel rings and rods, as well as a 110V outlet and 110V/12V lights. Going forward in the salon of this exceptional 38 Californian Motor Yacht, the entrance to the Forward State Room is in the center and down several stairs. Most owners of this model Californian 38 Motor Yacht, use this forward SR as the Master because of the unusually spacious head with a separate shower stall and storage nearly equal to the Aft Cabin. The Queen berth is set back from the forepeak with shelves outboard and above, and storage below. Above the bed are two large aluminum-framed deck hatches with solid varnished Mahogany trim providing plenty of light and ventilation when needed. To port is a large louvered-door Mahogany cabinet with a hanging locker, drawers and a shelf on top. To starboard is a built-in mahogany desk with storage below, and a large hanging locker closet aft. Aft to port is the Forward Head, with updated electric toilet, vanity, SS sink and plenty of storage for extended cruising, including two medicine cabinets. There is a screened deck hatch and port-light, teak and holly flooring, towel rings and rods, as well as a 110V outlet and 110V/12V lights. The Guest SR stairs are hinged and provide convenient access to the engine room below the salon. The spacious enclosed aft deck and flybridge are accessible via several stairs centered aft in the salon and a companionway with a sliding hatch above. All furniture is free-standing and features several solid teak chairs with cushions and tables that can be folded and stored. The U-Line icemaker is conveniently located forward in the aft deck area that is ideal for entertaining because of the additional seating on the flybridge, only several steps above the aft deck. Zippered Sunbrella panels double as “wing-doors” providing access to the side decks from the Aft Deck. A transom door leads to a ladder down to the swim platform.
- The galley of this 1985 Californian 38 Motor Yacht features: Norcold refrigerator/freezer with wood paneled doors. Princess (3) Burner electric stove and oven. Coffee Maker & toaster. Custom Sandstone marble countertops. Drop-leaf hinged countertop for additional counter space when needed. Double stainless steel sinks. Upper and lower storage cabinets. Custom dinnerware cabinet to secure dishes and glasses. Drawer storage. Hot & cold pressure water system with dockside fittings.
- Electronics & Navigation
- Catch The Spirit has updated electronics and all you will need to venture safely out of sight of land and cruise to new adventures: Garmin 3206 Color GPS/Chartplotter/Radar/Sounder. Robertson AP-20 Autopilot. DataMarine LX201 Digital Depth. ICOM ICM-502 VHF Radio. Ritchie Compass – NEW 2011. Pioneer Stereo/CD/AM/FM/XM & Speakers.
- Electrical System
- Westerbeke 8 kW GenSet with sound shield – 1450 hours. (3) 8-D Batteries – (2) New in 2014 (2) New in 2014. Battery parallel switch. Automatic Battery Charger. (1) 50Amp and (1) 30Amp Dockside electrical cables. 12V and 110V Lights. 110V outlets in each cabin area. 3 Cruise-Air air conditioning systems.
- Deck & Hull
- High Varnished safety rails. Sunbrella covers for all varnished rails. Aft Deck Hardtop. Full flybridge and aft deck enclosures. 2 teak chairs with cushions and two teak tables. Aft Deck cooler doubles for storage. Horn. Maxwell 1200 12V Windlass. Northcoast Claw Anchor, chain & nylon rode. Swim platform with boarding ladder. Fenders and (2) rail-mounted SS Fender holders.
- Engines & Mechanical
- With naturally-aspirated engines, this 1985 Californian 38 Motor Yacht will sip fuel and economically take you to your favorite cruising locations in comfort. The engines and Generator have been regularly maintained and serviced by a well-respected and competent local diesel mechanic. Both engines run strong and clean and are expected to perform during survey to all recommended manufacturer’s specifications. T/ 210 hp CAT 3208 Naturally Aspirated Diesels w. 1455 hours Freshwater cooling systems. Racor fuel filters. Raw water bronze strainers. Glendenning synchronizers. (3) MarineAir A/C systems with reverse cycle. Water Heater. Engine Instrumentation and alarms. Fume detector. (2) Bilge blowers. (3) Bilge pumps. (1) Manual bilge pump. (2) Electric head systems. Waste tank gauge. Holding tank and overboard discharge. Hydraulic steering. Bennett trim tabs. Spare set of props. All seacocks reconditioned in 2009.
- Owner’s personal items and any items found onboard during inspections that are not specifically identified in listing specifications are excluded. However, USCG-required safety equipment is included, even if not specified in the inventory description.
- The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.