This is an introduction to the Classic 50’ Philip Rhodes, Lester Stone built sailing yacht, ROWENA. She is a full-keel version of the highly regarded THUNDERHEAD, designed by Philip Rhodes. She was very well built by the Lester Stone yard in Alameda, CA; with Carvel Honduras mahogany planking fastened to oak frames and backbone with bronze fasteners, fir deadwood, external ballast, and bronze strapping. Her teak decks where replaced in 1997. She recently underwent a refit at KKMI.
She sails well and is a pleasure to be aboard.
- Sleeps six. (See layout drawing. Please note that the drawing is of the keel/centerboard sistership THUNDERHEAD and differs from ROWENA in that ROWENA's galley is to starboard with nav area opposite to port, and ROWENA has a companionway directly from the cockpit into the aft accommodations as well as the spiral ladder amidships). Rode locker and sail stowage right forward followed by a double cabin with berth to port and seat. There are hanging locker and drawers to starboard. Galley is next aft to starboard with Luke 3-burner gimbaled propane stove with oven, stainless steel icebox with Technautics refrigeration system and stainless sink with pressure water. There is ample stowage in the galley and a lift-up work-space counter at the forward end, alongside the sink. Opposite the galley to port is the enclosed head with sink, W.C., and stowage. A Dickinson oil-fired cabin heater is just outside the head bulkhead. After the head to port is the forward-facing nav station. Next aft are settee berths port and starboard with quarter pilot berths outboard and a companionway leading into the cockpit. Like that of her near sistership, THUNDERHEAD, ROWENA's cockpit is of particular note, as the forward end is sheltered by the raised house aft and the forward part of the cockpit is sunken, offering exceptional protection, and the helm station aft is raised for improved visibility. ROWENA’s interior is finished in white paint with varnished teak trim and teak and holly cabin sole. She is well ventilated with (4) hatches/slides, (7) opening ports, and (6) ventilators (7 screens).
- Sink Pressure water system 3-Burner propane stove (gimbaled) Refrigerator/freezer
- NAVIGATION AND ELECTRONICS
- New Navigation and Electronic equipment (2013): VHF MARINE RADIO WITH DSC (Digital Selective Calling), IC-M424 w/Remote Full Function Microphone/Speaker AIS - AUTOMATED IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM , Simrad FC40 Fluxgate Compass ECDIS – ELECTRONIC CHART DISPLAY INFORMATION SYSTEM, Simrad NSS12 ROW 12.1” Touch Screen MFD, Simrad NSS7 ROW 6.4” Touch Screen MFD RADAR, Simrad 4G Broadband ECHOSOUNDER, Simrad B744-VL WIND INSTRUMENT, Simrad IS20 Wind System MARINE AUDIO SYSTEM, Simrad SonicHub
- ENGINE AND MECHANICAL
- Westerbeke 58hp single 4-cyl fresh water cooled diesel engine
- ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT
- 12V system w/three 12V batteries 130amp engine-driven alternator Circuit breaker panel Shore power hookup Stat Power charger Polarity indicator Master switch Ample power battery condition indicator
- Traditional Carvel Honduras mahogany planking fastened to oak frames and backbone with bronze fasteners Fir deadwood and 13,000 lb external lead ballast Oak floor timbers and teak decking over plywood (new in 1997) Large self-bailing cockpit with raised helm Teak and mahogany trunk cabins. Interior is white with varnished teak trim and teak & holly sole Hull is white with natural decking
- Folding dining table in cockpit
- SAILS AND RIGGING
- Masthead cutter rig (appx 62’ from waterline) Bright finished Sitka spruce keel-stepped spars Stainless steel rigging and turnbuckles (2013) Sails by Sutter Roller furling Genoa and Yankee (2) Mainsails (2) Hanked jibs Drifter jib by North Sails (2) Staysails Spinnaker ProFurl roller furling gear Bronze swaged terminals & turnbuckles w/external wire halyards Manual backstay adjuster Barient halyard and sheet winches
- ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT
- Bruce & Danforth anchors w/bow roller Anchor chain & 225’ anchor rodes Ideal electric windlass Dodger cockpit awning Bimini & boat covers Stern & bow rails w/double lifelines Wash down system fore & aft Coast guard approved PFD’s
- REFIT AT KKMI (2013)
- ROWENA underwent an extensive refit at KKMI in 2013; invoices are available upon request. Briefly, the mast was pulled, inspected and disassembled, any areas of question where addressed. The mast was rewired, sanded down and refinished. Furling systems and standing rigging inspected, serviced and replaced where needed. The hull was inspected, sanded, covering boards and bullwarks where reefed out and re-seamed with Sika Flex. Topsides had two coats of primer and sprayed finish coat. Serviced and recondition teak decks, including light sanding. Plumbing inspected, thru-values serviced and replaced where needed, along with hoses and clamps. Exhaust system, new canister, elbows serviced, as was the plumbing for the refrigeration. Propeller pulled and serviced, new bearing, new packing gland, new propeller shaft and aligned engine. Removed and serviced windlass. Inspected and serviced engine. Serviced and updated steering cable/chain/pedestal.
- This is an introduction to the Classic 50’ Philip Rhodes, Lester Stone built sailing yacht, ROWENA. She is a full-keel version of the highly regarded THUNDERHEAD, designed by Philip Rhodes. She was very well built by the Lester Stone yard in Alameda, CA; with Carvel Honduras mahogany planking fastened to oak frames and backbone with bronze fasteners, fir deadwood, external ballast, and bronze strapping. Her teak decks where replaced in 1997. She recently underwent a refit at KKMI. She sails well and is a pleasure to be aboard.
- Potential purchasers should assume that items on the vessel at the time of viewing, but not specifically listed on this sheet, are not included with the sale of the yacht. These specifications are believed to be true and correct but cannot be guaranteed.
- Specifications and details of this vessel are provided in good faith for informational purposes only. Data regarding the specifications, operating characteristics, and condition of the vessel was obtained from sources believed to be reliable but is not guaranteed by owner or brokers. Buyer assumes responsibility to verify all speeds, capacities, consumptions and other measurements contained herein and otherwise provided and agrees to instruct his agent or surveyor to confirm such details prior to purchase. Vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price and inventory changes and withdrawl from market without notice.
- For complete details, contact Listing Agent Jim Elliott at (949) 642-5735 or e-mail: email@example.com