The legendary Hatteras 53' Motor Yacht is one of the most successful designs and is considered to be a true classic in yachting circles worldwide. Built on a modified V hull and offering the comfortable 3 staterooms / 3 head layout, she has a timeless design and is an extremely popular boat.
Her unequaled heavy displacement shows that Hatteras spared no expense in the lamination schedule, mechanical design, or the fit and finish. This is exactly why a 38-year-old Hatteras can be a far better boat than a decades-younger mass production boat. And yet she will surprise you with her powerful yet surprisingly efficient propulsion system. It’s no wonder why the 53MY quickly became the standard by which other motor yachts her size were measured.
KELLY B is an estate sale and therefore is priced accordingly. While a thorough survey of any vessel is always recommended before consummation of the sale, it is done so for the buyer’s information only.
On her main deck she has a gigantic upper salon with an inside lower helm station, a fully glass-enclosed aft deck “sun porch”, and a large open and airy extended flybridge including an upper helm station.
Below you will find a large galley down with updated residential full sized appliances and 3 generous staterooms, each with their own generously sized head.
The reliable chrome-plated Detroit Diesel 8V-71TI engines power her. These are the upgraded turbo charged and intercooled versions that produce 435HP each and reportedly cruise her at 16-knots, reaching a top speed of around 19-knots. Or slow her down to 9kts and reportedly get a fantastic economy of approximately 1MPG!
With some needed TLC she will make an excellent live-aboard or cruiser. This boat has great bones and appears to be in good shape for its age, although it has some needs. Please read the descriptions under FULL SPECS for more details of her current condition and examples of her current needs.
- MAIN SALON
- The Main Salon is located on the upper deck. It is very spacious and finished with the beautiful craftsmanship that these fine yachts are known for. The interior has beautiful tigerwood paneled walls. It has abundant empty space (approx. 112 sq. ft.!) for the next owner’s furnishings (furnishings are not present). Aft and to starboard is a built-in entertainment center that has a stereo, CD, and plenty of space for a TV on top. Aft and to port is a built-in armoire. There are built in speakers. The window treatments are tasteful and the view is excellent with all of the large windows. The carpet in the main salon was replaced with updated Berber, although there are some stains that will need to be addressed. Forward in this space is the inside lower helm station and to port and starboard are beautiful wooden sliding doors which lead to the side decks for deck access. Centerline aft are two beautiful wooden French doors that open to the aft deck. Fully equipped inside lower helm station (see separate listing for details) Sony Stereo Sony CD changer Built-in stereo speakers Air-conditioning AC and DC electrical panels Updated Berber Carpet Tasteful window treatments Beautiful wooden sliding doors to port and starboard side decks Beautiful wooden French double doors to aft deck Headliner in excellent condition
- AFT DECK
- The aft deck is enclosed with glass and has double doors from main salon plus two wing doors to port and starboard that lead to the side decks. It has one door centerline aft that leads down to the swim platform. Both side windows open, as does the center rear window. It features a wet bar with stainless steel sink and storage and an ice maker on the port side, with a stemware glass rack overhead. On the starboard side is the ladder up to the extended flybridge. Behind the ladder is a top-loading refrigerated box. The original air conditioning unit on the aft deck is reported to be non-operational but the boat includes a freestanding console air conditioner unit. The aft deck has some glass that will need to be replaced. Also located in the aft deck is some rotted wood around the window frames that surround the port aft and starboard aft windows (see duct tape in photos for approximate locations). Beautiful wooden French doors lead to main salon Beautiful wooden wing doors lead to side decks Built-in air-conditioning reported as non-functional Free standing console air conditioning unit included Wet bar with sink and icemaker Stem glass holder above wet bar Top-loading refrigerated box behind ladder to extended flybridge Rod holders in ceiling Some glass will need to be replaced Some wood rot around the aft window frames
- INSIDE LOWER HELM STATION
- Danforth compass Furuno RADAR Simrad Robertson AP22 Auto Pilot Raytheon ST60 Depth Garmin GPSMap 225 Naiad stabilizer control ACR Electronics search light Autopilot Depth finder Engine synchronizer Engine preheaters Hydra Power Systems (HPS) bow thruster Raytheon Ray 430 Loudhailer Uniden Polaris VHF Seth Thomas Barometer Seth Thomas Clock Ameritech cellular phone IPhone TB-6H selective call intercom 110VAC / 220VAC Electrical Panel 12VDC / 36VDC Electrical Panel 3 windshield wipers Map lights
- Forward of the main salon and situated below the foredeck is the full galley down with large dinette. The galley is very large and on the port side features updated full-size residential appliances and an updated solid surface countertop. There is plenty of storage in the solid-wood cabinets both above and below the countertops. There is additional storage in the pantry located behind sliding glass panels and under the dinette benches. On the starboard side is a large booth dinette that can comfortably seat 4 large people and possibly more. Outboard of the dinette are two beautiful backlit stained glass panels that slide open to reveal even more storage space behind. The entire galley sole is a parquet wood floor and there is abundant light from large windows and even a ceiling fan. On the forward bulkhead there is one area in the tigerwood paneling that has an air conditioning service panel cut into it. This could be concealed with décor, or the service panel replaced with something that matches better. Beautiful back lit stained glass panels conceal additional storage behind Updated GE Profile full sized refrigerator (stainless steel) Updated GE Profile 4 burner glass cooktop Updated GE Profile microwave (stainless steel) Updated Asko dishwasher (stainless steel) Updated Black and Decker toaster oven Updated solid surface countertops Large stainless steel sink Air-conditioning Built in speakers Headliner in excellent condition Parquet wood sole Ceiling fan with light Abundant natural light via large windows Curtains Aiphone TB-6H selective call intercom
- MASTER STATEROOM
- The massively sized master stateroom and master head are located aft. The master stateroom features simply tremendous space. The head of the bed is located against the portside bulkhead. There are built-in side stands with lamps. There is an abundance of storage inside beautiful wooden built-ins around the bed, in a large bureau to the starboard side of the stateroom, and to the aft of the bed. The master stateroom also features a massive residential-sized hanging locker and a separate linen locker along the forward bulkhead of the stateroom. There are a total of 6 portholes with curtains that allow plenty of light and ventilation – 2 port, 2 starboard, and 2 aft. The master stateroom has its own private head that has generous countertop space, a sink, vacuflush toilet, tile sole, and a separate large shower stall. Large master bed Private full head with shower stall Head has tile sole, vacuflush toilet, sink, shower stall and porthole Built-in side tables with lamps Abundant storage in drawers underneath bed, in starboard side bureau Drop-in storage in aft bureau Massive residential-sized hanging locker Separate linen locker Built-in tilt out hamper Air conditioning 6 portholes Curtains Carpet sole Headliner in excellent condition Aiphone TB-6H selective call intercom
- FORWARD STATEROOM
- Immediately forward of the galley is the forward stateroom with ensuite head. This room has large over/under bunks and plenty of storage. The sole is a parquet wood floor. There are two portholes in the bulkheads and one large hatch in the overhead that allow plenty of natural light and ventilation. The ensuite head offers generous countertop space, a sink, a vacuflush toilet, a shower, and a porthole. Also in this forward stateroom is located the updated and separate washer/dryer. Of note, this room contains a dozen binders that contain information on the boat. Aft of the galley is the Hatteras “trademark” split engine rooms. There are two walk-in engine rooms, located to the port and the starboard, with a long center passageway that leads aft to the remainder of the staterooms. This enables superb access to the engines and mechanical systems while at the same time intelligently incorporating usable living space all around the engines. The passageway has parquet wood floor. Large over / under bunk beds Ensuite private full head Head has vacuflush toilet, sink, shower, and porthole Abundant natural light via portholes and hatch Curtains Access to anchor chain locker behind hatch Air-conditioning Headliner in excellent condition Parquet wood sole Updated, separate washer / dryer Binders with information on this boat
- MIDSHIP STATEROOM
- The midship stateroom is port amidships, just at the end of the passageway between the engine rooms. It has two twin beds situated side-by-side with a beautiful nightstand in between them. It has abundant built in storage with drawers under each bed and drawers in the nightstand in between them. There are two additional storage lockers behind beautiful sliding wooden panels on the bulkhead above the beds. The stateroom has a very large hanging locker. There are two portholes with curtains. The midship stateroom also features its own private head that is located athwartship the center passageway. The head has generous countertop space, a sink, vacuflush toilet, tile sole, and separate large shower stall. Two twin-sized beds situated side-by-side Nightstand 2 Portholes Curtains Abundant storage in drawers under each bed and in nightstand Additional storage behind sliding wooden panels Large hanging locker Air-conditioning Carpet sole Headliner in excellent condition Separate private full head with shower stall Head has tile sole, vacuflush toilet, sink, shower stall and porthole
- Bow pulpit 45lbs Danforth type anchor Anchor windlass Reported approximately 200’ of chain rode 27" x 27" hatch in foredeck 17" x 17" hatch in overhead of aft deck Exterior teak trim Exterior teak handrails Swim platform Stainless steel ladder 2 dunnage boxes 2 stainless fender racks 3 windshield wipers Air horns Hailer/horn The luster on the gel coat is beyond its useful life, hence the “dull” look of its exterior finish. If you are interested in that brand-new baby’s bottom shinny gloss luster you may need to paint this boat.
- EXTENDED FLYBRIDGE
- Up the ladder from the aft deck is the extended flybridge. It features the upper helm station on the forward centerline, with oversized settees located to port and starboard. The aft section of the flybridge features additional oversized seating abaft the full beam. Combined the flybridge offers plenty of seating for passengers. There is plenty of empty deck space between the forward and aft seating benches making this extended flybridge layout flexible for entertaining with the ability to accommodate additional chairs, tables, etc. All flybridge seating has cushions that have been recently replaced and look fantastic! Included there also appears to be a newer bimini canvas top that is stored in the aft deck, although it has not been installed pending a missing fitting on the bimini hardware. Fully equipped outside upper helm station (see separate listing for details) Newer updated cushions for seat bottoms and seat backs looks fantastic Abundant seating Bimini frame hardware looks to be in 99% shape, missing a fitting Newer looking canvas is stored on the aft deck
- OUTSIDE UPPER HELM STATION
- Danforth compass Simrad Robertson AP22 Auto Pilot Raymarine ST60 Depth Finder Naiad Stabilizer remote control Hydra Power Systems (HPS) bow thruster Trim Tabs ICOM IC-M80 VHF ACR Electronics search light Aiphone TB-6H selective call intercom
- ENGINE DETAILS AND MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT
- This boat has chrome-plated Detroit Diesel 8V71-TI turbo diesel engines. Earlier this season the estate’s attorney hired a local mechanic to exercise the engines. He started them dockside and they fired right up and the turbos spun up. The boat was not taken off the dock. The engines reportedly have approximately 3500 hours on them. An old survey claims that the previous owner replaced the engine hours meters at 3200 hours. The new hour meters are showing approximately 237 on the starboard and 240 on the port. There is a 15KW Onan generator. The generator was the last project that the owner had started. I know this because once I took this listing, the mechanic who was working on the generator contacted me and wanted to get paid for their work. The generator hour meter is now showing around 544 hours, however in an old survey the generator is reported as having 3539 hours. This boat has a Naiad stabilizer and an HPS bow thruster. The electric hot water heater has been updated. Detroit Diesel 8V-71TI engines (FWC, turbo charged and intercooled with chrome-plating, 435HP) Approximately *3500 hours (see description for details) Allison M20 transmissions Reportedly cruise 16-knots, top speed of around 19-knots Reported approximately 1MPG at 9kts Naiad stabilizer Oil changer pump Engine synchronizer Racor primary fuel filters Fuel transfer manifold valves Fuel system priming pump CO2 fire extinguishing system in engine rooms and generator space Vacu flush head system with holding tank Nibral 4-blade 28x31 propellers 2 spare reconditioned props 2” shafts Bennett trim tabs with 8x42 single ram stainless steel tabs 21x16 bronze rudders with drip-type stuffing box Updated GE electric hot water heater Dockside power 1x240v 50A or 2x120v 50A Air compressor Fresh water pump * Engine hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
- BROKERS COMMENTS
- For more information or to make an appointment to view this boat please contact the listing broker
- The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
- Potential purchasers should assume that items on the vessel at the time of photography and/or viewing, but not specifically listed on this sheet, are not included with the sale of the yacht. The specifications and statements contained herein are believed to be true and correct but cannot be guaranteed. Just like with any other boat purchase, the buyer is advised to enlist the services of a qualified professional marine surveyor in order to independently verify the specifications, conditions and statements made herein regarding this vessel.