Built in 2004, this red Open 650 was imported from France in 2009 and raced actively in Southern California in 2010. The entire boat is carbon fiber, pre-preg and cured in autoclave. The craftsmanship of the Open 6.50 is unique (same construction techniques used for the Open 60 Around the World or Volvo 70). The boat is cured in a one shot process in the autoclave resulting in a complete boat that is stiff and light. The deck is a sandwich carbon nomex core. It does take some boat manufacturing knowledge to appreciate the quality of the construction. The result is a boat that is, 10 years after its construction, completely clean of structural defects.
The boat was owned by Open Sailing and has always been very well taken care of with many upgrades. Recently, the foils were faired and painted with epoxy primer (photos available upon request).
New, the Open 6.50s were sold in the USA for $65,000 base price. With a decent sail package (3-4 sails) and different options (trailer, covers,...) boats ready to sail were close to $90K. There is a price for excellence. At $24,975, this Open 6.50 is obviously priced to sell and ready for new adventures.
The sails inventory is complete with 2 main sails, 3 jibs and 2 spinnakers!!!. The North Sails jibs and spinnaker are considered new with only a handful of use in light air.
If you are considering sailing or racing in Southern California, this is a perfect boat. In light air, under 10 knots, the boat is easy to manage double-handed. With more breeze, or for long distance racing, you can be 3 or 4 on the boat. The cockpit is 14 feet long and can accommodate 4-5 crew. The v-berth is 7 feet long and allow storage of gear, cooler, ...
The boat in southern california has a great race record, winning multiple long distance races. For the famous California Yacht Club Sunset Series, it will be a great boat to race, in a fleet where most boats are not only bigger but a lot more expensive. The Open 6.50 rates 92 and will fit within a fleet of J105, J109, Tartan 101, for a fraction of the cost.
- Finot/Conq Design.
- November 2013: sprayed epoxy barrier and sprayed antifouling Proline paint with carbon additive. Brand new. Never touched the water since.
- November 2013: Keel (solid carbon foil and lead bulb) are faired and sprayed with epoxy barrier.
- Rotating non-tapered carbon mast (painted with epoxy primer and alwgrip paint).
- Carbon boom (painted as well), with inside out-haul and one reef line.
- Twin kick-up rudders (carbon skin and nomex core). Carbon tiller (x2), carbon connection bar and carbon tiller extensions (x2). Rudder stainless pins are new.
- Lifting keel (T-bulb). Solid carbon foil with lead bulb. Perfect condition. Deck support plate for keel reinforced and repainted (Awlgrip red).
- Life line kit for cat. 3 and 2 races.
- New running rigging (main, jib, spin sheets).
- Standing rigging in very good condition. New diamond wires with turnbuckles for mast lateral support (through carbon fiber spreaders).
- One Practice set of sails in good condition (Delta Voiles) with main sail, jib.
- One Racing set of sails: two jib (North Sails 2011 in very good condition). One like new 2011 North Sails spinnaker + one Delta Voiles 2009 Runner (yellow) in very good condition. Racing main sail in great condition, with reef point, square top and full battened and window.
Note: all headsails are furling headsails (Harken drum and swivel).
- ?Galvanized Road Trailer, one axle, fiberglass boat cradles.
?- North Sails Full Storage / Trailering Deck Cover.
- North Sails one piece Hull Cover
- Additional custom covers for mast and jib.
Note: all photos prior to fairing and repaint on hull and foils.
- The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.