- 42 (ft.)
- Hull Material
- Fuel Type
- Engine Model
- 46 FWC diesel
- Number of Engines
- Engine Type
- Engine Hours
ELUSIVE: This 1987 Hinckley Sou’wester 42 reverse-transom cruiser/racer underwent a 2007 comprehensive refit of rig, deck and sail plan for performance, shorthanded sailing. She is one of the most updated Hinckley SW-42 available on the brokerage market. Please continue on to the Full Specification for complete details.
- The Sou’wester 42 offers spirited performance in a remarkably seakindly hull form , with a deck layout that facilitates shorthanded sailing while offering comfortable accommodations and proper gear storage for extended cruising. In addition, these yachts are among the most handsome classic designs ever launched. In 2007, ELUSIVE’S rig, deck and sail plan were comprehensively updated for performance, short-handed sailing, to include a new Leisure-furl, electric boom-furling mainsail, Harken electric Primary winches, Harken electric halyard/main sheet/centerboard winch with Spin-loc jammers. The full refit was comprehensive, with new Lewmar windlass, batteries, major re-wiring, 200-amp alternator and performance/navigation electronics. ELUSIVE is very well detailed for cruising, offshore and club racing. She has a 2007 North Spectra Mainsail, 2011 130% and 150% genoa, and racing cut asymmetrical spinnaker, in addition to her original inventory. Her electronics have been upgraded with Raymarine integrated gps/plotter/radar and cockpit remote, along with B & G Hydra instruments and ICOM communication gear.
- HULL and DECK
- ELUSIVE has a custom reverse transom. Centerboard is fiberglass with a bronze leading edge and operated by pennant on a winch in cockpit. The rudder is cored fiberglass, skeg-mounted on a stainless rudder shaft. HULL and DECK: White gelcoat topsides Double dark blue bootstripe Blue bottom Construction: Actual LOA: 41' 04" with reverse transom Hand laid fiberglass hull and deck. Hull is cored in Airex for additional strength per weight. The core is deleted and the hull reinforced with additional laminations in all high stress areas. Hull stringers cored with Airex are bonded to the hull and integrated with the mast step and engine mounts to form a single unit that is strong and light. Hull laminate is fabricated of unidirectional glass for a better strength per weight ratio. The deck is set in a 6” flange on the hull, then fiberglassed and bolted in place. Topsides are original white gelcoat in perfect condition, with double flag blue boot top and blue antifouling on the bottom. The molded nonskid on deck is Cloud Gray, all exterior teak is varnished bright. In 2009, the autopilot ram was re-mounted with additional fiberglass structure.
- ELECTRONICS & NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT
- ICOM 604 D, VHF Radio w/Command Mic 3 at helm (2010) ICOM M-710 SSB radio RayMarine AIS, interfaced with E 120 Monitor and G 1500 Helm monitor. (2010) Raytheon Integrated Navigation Chart Plotter/Radar (All 2008) RS-125 GPS Sensor 4 KW Radar (new unit 2013) E120 Multifunction Display at Nav station G150 15” Ultra Bright remote at helm in custom stainless steel pod Sirius weather receiver Life-tag system Simrad AP 22 Autopilot, Second control head at Nav. Station (2010) Alpine stereo CD, w/speakers below and in cockpit 406 MHz EPIRB B & G Hydra 2000 instrumentation: Speed, log, wind functions, depth (new 2013) Full function display in nav station (2) 20/20 displays at companionway SR 100 SIRIUS weather receiver ST2 full function remote keyboard Additional MFD installed at nav. Station (2010) GPS outlet in nav. Station, with connection at helm for video input to on-deck screen
- ACCOMMODATIONS BELOW
- ELUSIVE’s interior joiner work is crafted of satin finished American Cherry, with bright-varnished teak & holly cabin soles, custom louver cabinet doors and a custom double berth in the owner’s stateroom. The FORWARD OWNER’S STATEROOM has a double berth with drawers below, storage in bureau, lockers, cabinets and hanging locker and a large opening hatch to the foredeck. The HEAD is next aft to port, with Wilcox Crittenden head (completely rebuilt 2013), shower, vanity, cabinet and an opening port. The MAIN SALON has a U-shaped dinette to port that converts to a double berth, pull-out transom and pilot berth outboard to starboard and a large drop leaf dining table at center. The U-shaped GALLEY is aft, to port of the companionway, with abundant counter and cabinet space, deep double stainless sinks, Force 10 stainless propane stove (2011), oven & broiler, refrigerator and deep freeze by Grunert, AR-50. The NAVIGATION STATION is outboard to starboard, with a full sit down nav desk, molded seat, lift top chart stowage, drawer storage and comprehensive navigation and communication equipment. The ship’s AC and DC panels are in this area as well. Aft of the nav station to starboard is a large QUARTERBERTH area, with drawer, shelf and cabinet stowage and an opening port into the cockpit area. 2010 the following improvements were made to the yacht’s interior: Main cabin and forward cabin hatches were rebuilt, with new smoked gray Plexiglass New Ultra-suede cushions at navigation station Varnished cherry binocular box Varnished cherry handrail installed inboard on navigation table Brass clock & barometer on forward bulkhead
- SAILS and RIGGING
- HRH fabricated double-spreader sloop rig with Navtec rod rigging to Navtec tensioners, all removed and fully inspected (2007). Spars are Awlgripped white and the Leisure furl Boom (2007) painted to match. ELUSIVE’s deck layout is custom engineered for efficiency with Lewmar Spinlocks on the bridge deck for mainsail outhaul & boomvang, plus the foreguy. Harken furling headstay Leisure furl boomvang w/leads to cockpit (2007) Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster Harken traveler Complete spinnaker gear; pole, blocks, mast tracks, etc. New main halyard and mainsail furling line (2012) Winches (2) Barient #32 STC 3-speed primary winches (2) Harken #60.2 STE electric 2-speed secondary (2007) Harken 44 2-speed STE electric winch w/spinlock leads for main sheet, main halyard and Leasure Furl boom furler on port side of companionway (2007) Barient 25-44 snubbing winch for same leads on port side of companionway Barient 24 STC with spinlock leads for centerboard and Harken Quick Vang on starboard side of companionway (5) Barient 24 STC halyard winches, deck mounted Sails (All North) Spectra Mainsail for Leisure furl Boom (2007) 150% Genoa (2013) #A3 Raching ¾ ounce Assymetrical Spinnaker (2002) 135% Genoa, with uv cover (2012) Marathon 3DL Mainsail (Spare, for conventional boom) Storm job - modified with sleeve (2014) New Leisurefurl sail cover (2010)
- 12-volt DC electrical system: 100-amp/hr starting gel-cell battery charged by 55-amp starting alternator from engine (8) 6-volt gel cell house batteries, charged by 200-amp alternator from engine (all new 2011) All new battery cables, house, panel and ground feeds (2007) Link 2000 battery monitoring system (2007) Over ride switch allows the engine to be started from the lighting batteries reworked (2007) 110-volt AC electrical system: 110V/30 amp shore power with watertight Hubbell deck inlets 50 ft 30 amp shore power cable Sentry 40 amp converter w/110 volt outlets in galley, head & forward cabin Other features: Full 4” copper strapping, bonding system to all chainplates, thru hull fittings and keel 12 volt and 110 volt circuit breaker panel w/hinged plexiglass cover
- Westerbeke 46-hp, fresh water cooled marine diesel engine Hurth transmission and 2:1 reduction gear. Morse controls Aquamet stainless 1.25” propeller shaft with 3-blade Max prop. Racor filters Remote oil filter Temperature and Oil Pressure alarms Installed deck pump-out for holding tank (2009) All engine hoses replaced (2009) New water pump (2009) Full 500-hr service done in 2013. New glow plugs, belts, heat exchanger, oil pressure sensor. Espar diesel cabin heater
- ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT
- Lewmar Windlass (2007) 35# CQR anchor in HRH bow roller 5/8” anchor rode w/150 chain (2) manual bilge pumps (on deck & below) Electric bilge pump w/float switch Electric sump pump Fenders & docklines MOM 8, inflatable MOB recovery system Lifesling MOB light Emergency tiller (6) Type #1 lifejackets New Cockpit Dodger (2010), new hatch covers and handrail covers (2011) Sunbrella covers for deck hand-rails (2011) Dinghy Motor Hoist (2013)
- BROKER REMARKS
- ELUSIVE has had an easy life with exceptional care. In fact, in the early 1990’s she spent five years in indoor storage at the Hinckley Yard in Maine without being launched. She sold to her interim owner in the late 1990’s, who used her very lightly, for occasional offshore races; 2 New England to Bermuda and 2 Florida to Isla Mujeres in the Yucatan Peninsula, plus other local cruising in West Coast Florida and the Bahamas. Her present owner purchased the yacht in 2011 and has cruised the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas. Since then, the yacht has had consistent upgrading and the best of maintenance. She is among the very best maintained, and certainly one of the most updated Hinckley SW-42's on today’s brokerage market. Even at her full asking price, she represents an exceptional value.
- The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
- Hinckley Brokerage Offices: SOUTHWEST HARBOR-ME: Broker: Bob Pooler Cell: 207-460-7589 or E-mail: email@example.com ? Broker: Wythe Ingebritson Cell: 207-664-8111 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 207-244-5531 PORTSMOUTH, RI: Broker: Joe Dwyer Cell: 401-578-2919 or E-mail: email@example.com Office: 401-683-7005 ANNAPOLIS, MD : Broker: Peter Howard (CPYB) Cell: 443-852-0193 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org om Office: 410-263-0095 STUART-FL: Broker: Tripper Vincent Cell: 561-262-3900 or E-mail: email@example.com Office: 772-403-5387 NAPLES-FL: Broker: Jack Erbes Cell: 401-418-2188 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 239-261-2879 HARBOR SPRINGS-MI: Broker: Marty Letts Cell: 231-330-3680 or E-mail: email@example.com Office: 231-526-4378