This is a rare Sam Morse factory finished Falmoouth Cutter. This Lyle Hess design is the little sister to The Bristol Channel Cutter, made famous by Lin and Larry Pardey's exploits that have inspired generations of cruisers.
Lyle Hess designed the Falmouth Cutter as a pocket cruiser that could carry one or two persons across the oceans safely. He designed her just like the Bristol Channel Cutter with minor changes to suit her size requirement. When he finished, all the dimensions indicated that she could be trailered. What a great opportunity for the person who does not necessarily want to cross oceans but instead wants to sail all coasts of the country. If at any time the decision is made to cross an ocean she is more than capable.
She, like her big sister the Bristol Channel Cutter, is built by hand and to the same standards only with one less lay-up on the hull. She carries very similar lines with a shallow full keel that is swept back so it does not disturb the movement of water and will go aground gently. The large sail area and long waterline provide excellent performance in both light and heavy airs. Like all Hess boats, this is a remarkably big boat for her deck length. Don't be surprised if she sails past boats much larger, especially going to weather.
Her trailerability also allows her to serve as a landyacht when traveling between cruising grounds! Bring your truck and take her away! Trailer rebuilt and repainted 2008
Complete engine rebuild 2012!
- Designer: Lyle C. Hess Length, Overall 30'6" Length on Deck 22' 0" Length, Waterline 20' 10" Beam 8' 0" Draft 3' 6" Displacement 7,400 lbs. Ballast, Solid Lead 2,500 lbs. Total Sail Area 389 sq.ft. Headroom 5' 11" CAPACITIES Water: 40 Gal Fuel: 15 Gal
- The Falmouth cutter provides eveythin one need for srious crisung accomodations in a very compact package, A private V berth cabin forward with hanging locker is separated from the main salon by a privacy curtain. The full size galley is forward on the port side of in the main cabin with a deep SS sink, 2 burner propane stove with oven (new 2007), and Adler Barbour fridge oppposite. A foldout counter across the forward cabin acess gives as much elbow room as many 40 footers! Good size quarter berths port and starboard double as seating for the dining table, which pulls out from under the cockpit floor to seat four. The main cabin has full standing headroom, beautiful teak joinerwork, and six sturdy bronze opening ports
- Engine : BMW 7 HP diesel, rebuilt 2012 . Standing rigging: New head stay June 2011, uppers replaced 2006, boom and mast and remaining rigger in good shape. Running Rigging: Halyards, save the staysail halyard, replaced in 2007. Sheets replaced in 2007/2008 with the exception of the staysail sheets. Jib roller furler (Harken) installed in June 2011. Roller furler mated to a 110% high clew 6.5 dacron yankee built by North in February 2011. Remaining sail inventory; main with two reef points, stay sail with one reef point, jib topper and drifter all original as of my purchase of the boat in 2005 and all in serviceable condition. Electronics: VHF and Autohelm tiller pilot. Batteries : Two, one deep cycle, 2010 Ground tackle: Bruce on bow, danforth on stern, manual windlass, chain rode on bow ( at least 100 ft), chain and line combo on bow (same), Line on stern (same). Other Equipment: 10 amp battery charger, 2 burner stove and oven (propane), Adler Barber refrigeration, 3 bilge pumps, one auto, one large electric, one hand pump, porta potti, 3 fire extinguishers including engine compartment halon, solar panel for battery charging. General condition and other notes : New Bottom June 2011, (3 coats Petit ultimum 60 ablative) New Cutlass bearing June 2011,New Rudder 2008, (7 layers five ply 1/4 Okume marine ply, epoxied and barrier coated). Trailer: 2 axle fully braked trailer with extension tongue. Completely disassembled, sand blasted and coated with epoxy shipcoat by Essex Marine in 2008. Just serviced and ready to travel. Tires new in 2008.
- The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
- Brokers comments
- Despite her size, this is a serious bluewater cruising vessel with the ability to take you anywhere on the planet. With her trailerablity she will give her owners the a lifetime of opportunities for exploration
- Edwards Yacht Sales on Facebook Out-of-State buyers can now buy and use their boat in beautiful Florida for 180 days with No Florida Sales Tax! Ask your EYS broker for details. Contact Tom Morton in St. Augustine at (904)377-9446 Tom@EdwardsYachtSales.com Click here to search for more Quality Sailboats