PROTEUS ("SHEPARD FOR THE SEA GOD NEPTUNE") was built at Rysco Shipyard in Florida in 1977 as an offshore supply vessel. She is a sistership to the ex FRENCH LOOK now PERFECT LIFE. She was converted in 2005 for Oceanographic Research and as an Exploration Yacht. PROTEUS is in ABS class and had two extensive refits in 2005 and 2009 making her ready for extended voyages now. An estate is selling PROTEUS.
As she is currently configured she carries up to 19 Guests/Scientists and 16 Crew. The interior is constructed to cruise ship standards and thus modifications are relatively straight forward and economical. PROTEUS is comfortable, clean, geared for scientific activity and includes Owner's areas. She has had several mulit-month scientific charters in 2011 and successfully sea trialed in January 2012 with a Captain and a crew of 7.
PROTEUS is a great vessel as she is, ready for versatile adventuring. She is a great candidate as a conversion to many things: Expedition/ Research/ Long Range/ Adventurer/Sub Tender/ Surf/Dive/ Yacht and many others. The 65' x 30' Aft Deck can carry tons of tenders and toys. The heli pad is operative and can be ABS classed. The Eurocopter model AS 350 B3 in the photos is for sale seperately. The main profile shot of that helicopter is photoshopped. Also, the 27' Special Services Craft BERTELI-II All Weather Tender is well suited for many missions.
PROTEUS is reasonably priced especially because she is in ABS class, operationally ready for long term charters, and has had 3.5 million USD invested in her in the past 3 years. She is big, modernized, ready and economical. She has seen good management in the past few years.
Any large, Long Range Expedition Yacht Buyer should give careful consideration to the detailed specifications and photos enclosed.
- PROTEUS was built at Rysco Shipyard in Florida in 1977 as an offshore supply vessel. She was converted in 2005 for Oceanographic Research and as an Exploration Yacht. PROTEUS is in ABS class and had an extensive technical refit in 2009 making her ready for extended voyages now. An estate is selling PROTEUS and they are eager to get her off their books. As she is currently configured she carries up to 19 Guests/Scientists and up to16 Crew. The interior is constructed to cruise ship standards and thus modifications are relatively straight forward and economical. PROTEUS is comfortable, clean and includes Owner's areas. She has had several mulit-month scientific charters in 2011. PROTEUS is a solid, sound vessel as she is, ready for versatile adventuring. She is a viable candidate for conversion (see below): Expedition/ Research/ Long Range/ Adventurer/Sub Tender/ Surf/Dive/ Yacht. The 65' x 30' Aft Deck can carry tons of tenders and toys. The heli pad is operational and was built to ABS class. The Eurocopter model AS 350 B3 in the photos is for sale seperately. The 27' All Weather diesel Tender is well suited for many missions. PROTEUS had $3.5 million USD invested in her in the past 3 years above routine maintenance. She has seen good management, she is big, modernized, ready and economical with recent audio gauges and surveys. Any large, Long Range Expedition yacht buyer should give careful consideration to the detailed specifications and photos enclosed.
- Guest Accommodations
- Main Deck: Enter from the 65' X 30' Aft Deck to the Main Deck companionway. Follow the companionway forward to port there is a Hospital/VIP cabin with desk, settee, wardrobe and en-suite handicapped equipped head. The Hospital is well equipped with lockable medical supplies, wheel chair, oxygen etc. To starboard forward there is a large Conference/Dining room L 28'9" X W 16' with seating for 19. Two buffets are built in, including a Sharp Carosel Microwave, Frankin Icemaker, Franklin 2 zone fridge. To Starboard aft is the Computer/Science Room/ Lounge L 14'2" x W 16' with stations for 10. Day head is to port across from the Science Room forward of the Laundry Room. There is access to the Tank Deck Store Room & Gym to port. There is access aft to the enclosed stairs to the Upper Deck; Aft Deck; forward to the Crew Lounge and Galley. The Dive Equipment Room is to port aft on the Main Deck with 2 watertight doors aft and port Main Deck. It contains a Bauer Virticus dive compressor. There is a remote scuba fill station. PROTEUS has carried out many dive operations for a dozen + divers. The Dive Equipment Room area is 11.00m2/118 sq ft. Upper Deck/Forecastle Deck: The VIP Cabin is starboard forward with Queen bed; L shaped settee; desk; wardrobe; private en-suite head with shower. There are three large windows outboard to starboard with shades and blinds. Four guest/scientists cabins with 2 twin beds each with desk, sink and wardrobe. Each twin cabin shares a head and shower with one other twin cabin. One single Cabin with private head. Two Guest/Scientists Cabins have 4 total in bunk bed configuration each with desk, sink and wardrobe. These two cabins share a head and shower. Each Cabin has a large opening port light with dead light. Aft there are enclosed stairs down to the Main Deck and up to the Observation Deck. Forward to starboard are stairs up to the Sky Lounge. A buffet is to port forward then access to the port Upper Deck and forward to the crew quarters. Bridge Deck: The Sky Lounge is central Aft with seating for 20+; 270° large windows; double opening doors aft; full wet bar with F1M35 Frankin Ice Maker, Frankin 2 zone fridge and microwave. To starboard forward is a pop up Sony Bravia 55’ HDTV. Day head is forward to port. Forward is access to the Ship’s Office and Bridge. To starboard forward are stairs down to the upper deck. Aft of Sky Lounge is an open Aft Bridge Deck for Al Fresco dining, sun & shade lounging. There is access up to the Heli Deck and down to the Observation Deck. Pilothouse: The Pilothouse is on the Bridge Deck forward with dual helm chairs, wing doors port and starboard; aft to starboard is a proper chart table and drawers. Aft to port is the Ship’s Office. To starboard of the Ship's office is the Captain’s cabin with en-suite head. There are stairs down to the crew area of the Upper Deck. There is a full Portugese bridge around the Pilot House with access down to the Upper Deck and Fore Deck also up to the Pilot House coach roof. There are generous walk around decks around the entire Bridge Deck. There is a cut out in the Portugese Bridge for the pilot to observe Fore Deck ops. PROTEUS is a forward Pilothouse design. The Pilothouse has a good set of electronics, a bit commercially placed. Overall, visibility is good. Observation Deck: The Observation Deck is Aft of the Skylounge & Bridge Aft Deck, is a half deck Aft of the Bridge and Upper Deck. It supports the Heli landing pad and has potential to build out an Observation Lounge/Stateroom by enclosing some of the Observation Deck. It could serve as many things. Heli Deck: Steps lead from the Aft Bridge Deck to the Heli Deck L 27ft x W 27ft. The structure was approved by ABS for a maximum load of 4,960 LBS. It's lighted, perimeter safety gates fold down, protected. The large gangway and crane bucket are stored here. Eurocopter, Bell Jet Rangers, Roberstons have landed and taken off here. This Heli pad may be ABS certified with a purchase of about $30,000 for safety gear. Actively in private use. Aft Deck: The Aft Deck measures 65' x 30'. There is a gated swim step built into the Transom with the "A" frame straddling the steps. There are 4 major bits and chocks; the deck crane is to starboard aft. The Engine and Generator dry stacks are above the Emergency Engine Room exits, both port & starboard. Three (3) new watertight escape hatches from Engine Room (New 2009). The Engine Room ventillation fans (New 2009) are forward. There are 2 exterior stairs, port and starboard leading to the upper side decks. There are two water tight doors, one to port to the Dive Center; off center is the main entrance to the Main Deck interior. To starboard and above is generous storage and the Northern Lights emergency generator.
- Mechanical Equipment
- Main Engines: Two Caterpillar model D-398, 12 cylinder turbocharged 825 hp @1200 rpm; air starting; fresh water cooled by keel coolers; air clutches; dry exhausts. Caterpillar transmissions 725 L 3.95 -1 reduction transmissions All Engine & Generator functions alarm monitored by PMC panel. Caterpillar authorized list of spare parts Caterpillar maintained since 2009 Caterpillar service analysis September 2011 Keel coolers rebuilt 2009 Two (2) Engine Room ventilation fans New 2009 Fuel Consumption: 75 GPH 3 TONS per day 40 days Propellers: Bronze 56" dia. x 84" pitch four bladed fixed pitch. Last tuned September 2011 Shafts renewed; bearings new 2009 Spare shaft Rudders renewed and bearings new 2009 Cruising speed: 10 knots @ 1100 RPM Electric: 110/220 60 Cycle 3 phase & single phase. Will receive 440 Volt Main switchboard overhauled 2009 12/24V DC Emergency 24V DC backup system by Radio Holland New 2009 Generators: One Caterpillar C9 175 kw Generator (New 2009) One Caterpillar 3406 generator rated 210 KW Zero houred 2013 New exhaust 2009 for Caterpillar 3406 generator and bow thruster Caterpillar 3406 All diesel engines are keel cooled and dry stacks. Bow Thruster: One Schottel 300hp tunnel thruster w/fixed pitch prop (factory rebuilt 2011) driven by Cat 3406 diesel engine, zero houred 2011 Head Hunter Toilet System with Tidal Wave USCG certified type 2 MSD Alpha Laval diesel Oil Purifier rebuilt 2009 Oily water seperator new 2009 Two ships air compressors Bauer Verticus dive compressor with remote fill station Two full size washers and dryers Anchor System: 2 x 2500 LBS anchors new 2011;189m/620' each of 32 mm chain new 2011. Anchors and chains are ABS classed. Electric Anchor Windlass rebuilt 2009, original equipment near end of life but still working. "A" Frame Gantry: 4.5 ton reported (no winch installed) Deck Crane: One 4,500 SWL (Aft Deck starboard quarter) SBG Pedistal mount Hydraulic crane with telescopic knuckle boom. This crane could be upgraded to handle heavier loads. The Deck Crane handles retrieving and launching both Tenders. Stabilizations: Bilge keels Ballast tanks HVAC: Central Air Conditioning throughout vessel Independent Compressor zones for: 1. Galley & Mess - Ducted 2. Crew spaces - Ducted 3. Guest spaces - Water chilled 4. Bridge - Ducted Hull: Extensive hull replating 2009 Watermakers: Fresh water generation capacity 8.00 m3/day Steel renewal 2009 extensive replating Bottom plated to 13 mm All tanks and cofferdams inspected, cleaned, tested 2009 All Hull valves and skin fittings removed & renewed or replaced 2009 All water tight doors serviced; three new 2009 Ultrasonic report, painted September 2011 Paint: Hull, superstucture and bottom painted with Jotun 2009 Superstructure and Aft Deck painted August 2013 Bottom painted last with Jotun September 2011 Most bilges and chain lockers painted 2013
- Navigation Equipment
- RADARS: (1) Furuno FR 8100D (1) Furuno FAR - 2817 MU 201CR ARPA GPS Receivers: (1) Furuno GPS/WAAS NAVIGATOR (1) Furuno GPS NAVIGATOR 6P-150 (1) GARMIN GPS 152 Video Depth Sounder: (1) Furuno FMV603 (1) COLOR LCD SOUNDER FCV- 1100L Chart Plotters: Nobeltec Captain Voyager Gyro Compass: Sperry Ships magnetic compass Autopilot: Robertson AP9 MK3 Sperry/SSI Roberton Rudder Angle Indicator AIS JRC JHS 182 JRC Navtex Receiver NRC - 300A Simrad Taiyo TD -L1550A GMDSS radio station Davis Weather Wizard III Satellite Communications: Iridium Data Transmittal/Internet: VSAT Seatel 4003 (Broadband internet, full time) Panasonic PBX Phone System Single sideband: SSB ICOM Furuno SSB Transceiver FS - 1503 VHF: Transceivers: (1) ICOM-DSC (1) SEA 7156 (2) ICOM - M502 (10) ICOM Portable VHFs PA System: ABS approved Radio Holland PA System new 2009 through all decks. Internal Crew phones (original) 6 stations Computers: (1) IBM Thinkpad (1) ACER ASPIRE 4736C (1) HP Deskjet 3050 (1) HP Laserjet P1102W Master volt 24V/40-3 bridge dedicated batteries and battery charger
- Safety & Lifesaving Equipment
- The Hospital Suite with handicapped full bath is professionally stocked and supplied to handle medical emergencies including helicopter evacuation. The Hospital Suite can also serve as a VIP Stateroom. Personal Flotation Devices: 40 Solas approved life jackets for open water operations 8 Security cameras with Bridge monitor EPIRB: 2x McMurdo S4 rescue sarts Surival Suits: 20 USCG approved Life Rafts: Three SOLAS approved for 25 persons each, inflatable life rafts in auto release mounts Rescue Boat: 25' Pacific Skiff, aluminum with 115 hp Suzuki Outboard, center console, rugged Search & Rescue Transponders: GMDSS type approved Multiple flood lights bow and stern; port and starboard Line Throwing Apparatus: One
- Boats Firefighting System
- Ships Raw Water Fire Fighting System pumped to fire hose stations throughout per ABS. Main fire pump New 2009 Fixed CO2 system in engine spaces 46 portable extinguishers throughout vessel Smoke & Fire Detection System: ITIM System PTY Notifier AFP-200 Smoke and Fire detectors throughout ABS foam portable fire station/heli-deck
- The Galley is on the starboard Main Deck forward of the Dining and VIP/Hospital. It is configured in a U shape and has all the equipment to serve 35 guests and crew. On the aft bulkhead is a walk in pantry next to a walk in refridgerator leading to a walk in freezer. Forward of this area are two top loading freezers. There is an impressively large ships stores area on the Tank Deck. Galley Equipment: Whirlpool Fridge CMA 180 UC Dishwasher 6 SS burner stove/double oven LG Microwave 2 X Fridgidaire chest freezers 3 x SS sinks & SS counters Star 510F Electric fryer Internal crew phone 6 station Extensive Galley & serving supplies TV live spacial surround sound
- Crew Quarters
- The Crew Quarters are forward on three levels: - On the Main Deck there are two Crew Cabins forward of the Galley that sleep three and four each. There is a common head with two showers, two sinks and toilet. - On the Upper Deck there are five Crew Cabins: three Cabins for two and one Cabin for one Crew sharing a common head with two showers, two sinks and toilet. The fifth Cabin is the first officer's Cabin with its' own desk and Head. - On the Bridge Deck is the ample Captain's Cabin with lockers a desk and Head. There are two Crew Lounge areas to port and forward of the Galley on the Main Deck. The port Crew Lounge area has color satellite TV, DVD'S, games and music. This area is quite open with good traffic flow. Forward to starboard is a second Crew Lounge/Dining table. To port is the main entrance to the Tank Deck and Engine Room; forward to the Main Deck Crew Quarters and up to the Upper Deck.
- Anchor System
- Anchor System: 2 x 2500 LBS anchors (new 2011);189m/620' each of 32 mm chain. Hardy Electric Anchor Windlass rebuilt 2009. "A" Frame: 4.5 ton reported (no winch installed) Deck Crane: One 4,500 SWL (lower deck) SBG Pedistal mount Hydraulic crane with telescopic knuckle boom. This crane could be upgraded to handle heavier loads. Bow Thruster One Schottel 300hp tunnel thruster w/fixed pitch prop (rebuilt 2009) driven by Cat 3406 diesel engine. Head Hunter Toilet System with Tidal Wave HMX sewage treatment system, USCG certified type 2 MSD Alpha Laval diesal Oil Purifier MAB-104B Oily water seperator new 2009 Two ships air compressors Bauer Verticus dive compressor with remote fill station Two full size washers and dryers
- BERTELI - II is a 27' x 10'6" x 1'6" Northwind Marine aluminum polyurethane all weather tender; Volvo diesel D-6 300 HP with speeds up to 35 knots. Spare "get home" Yamaha outboard. This support boat was designed to meet commercial needs under Lloyds Register specifications for special service craft. BERTELI-II has not been used sinced purchased 2009. Tender 25' Pacific Skiff, aluminum; 115 HP Suzuki outboard, center console. Very dry, very rugged.
- The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
- Steve Reoch Cell/ 305-216-8682