- 78 (ft.)
- Hull Material
- Fuel Type
- Engine Model
- Number of Engines
- Engine Hours
David Marlow has created the perfect cruising machine for the modern yachtsman: long range, express speeds in comfort, luxurious style in a safe and seaworthy yacht, and removal of "compromise" from the equation of owning the perfect yacht. In a sentence, the Marlow 78 E is a traditionally styled work of art as well as a high performance, ocean going yacht.
She was originally custom built for a highly experienced and very knowledgeable owner who equipped her to be a comfortable and dependable long range cruising yacht.
In August 2013, the vessel had some recent service work completed including A/C, and bottom job.
- Vessel Walkthrough
- After crossing the teak planked aft deck, which has ample seating, a wet bar and full walk-around side decks, you enter the main salon through an oversized door. With teak and holly soles and satin finished cherry wood, the salon is warm and rich, exhibiting some of the finest wood craftsmanship in the world. Just forward of the salon is a spacious dining area for 8 that can quickly be converted for office use due to built in tracks for the table. Moving further forward and up 3 steps will bring you to the galley and pilothouse, which has an additional seating lounge and dinette on the port side. From here you can access the guest accommodations down a custom, circular stairwell to the lower decks. The master, VIP, and two guest staterooms can comfortably accommodate up to 7 people for extended trips. If you proceed upstairs from the pilothouse, you will find yourself on a spacious flybridge to enjoy cruising, relaxing and dining outside in comfort. The crew quarters and mechanical spaces are accessed from the aft deck or swim platform and are finished to the same exacting standards as the guest areas. With incredible attention to detail, she has maximized both the practical and aesthetic qualities associated with top level yachts. Each incredible area is detailed in the following sections.
- Entering the salon from the aft deck you will find a large and luxurious buttercup leather U-shaped sofa and teak coffee table to starboard. To port is an entertainment center with wine storage cabinet, wet bar, refrigerator, ice maker and liquor cabinet. Entertainment center with wine storage locker 42" PANASONIC flat screen TV cabinet Full entertainment system with DVD, satellite, radio, CD Wet bar w/hidden sink U line Icemaker Refrigerator Liquor cabinet Sub Zero wine cooler Solid hardwood valances Soft vinyl headliners Satin Varnish for interior finish Teak and holly flooring over foam composite sole 24V Italian and Danish lighting Sectional sofa, built in storage Overhead handrail Wood blinds in salon Stainless ball bearing drawer slides Storage space throughout
- Teak and holly flooring Sub-Zero refrigerator/freezer Louvered cabinets Teak panel and cabinetry Granite counters Electric cooktop Franke double sink w/Grohe faucet Microwave/convection oven Overhead dish locker aft Drinking water faucet Overhead dish locker outboard Spice racks Exhaust blower Storage cabinets and drawers Whirlpool full size dishwasher
- The comfortable dining area sits at the forward end of the salon just aft of the Galley. There is a hardwood, hand-crafted table for eight that easily slides to the side on tracks, converting the area into a work station if desired.
- Portuguese Bridge For safety and comfort at sea, the Portuguese bridge is a very important feature. It is the area just forward of the pilothouse that is protected by a waist high bulkhead deflecting wind and seas providing a safer walkway around the exterior of the yacht. By deflecting the seas in heavy weather conditions, the side deck walkways stay relatively free of water. Just aft of here is the enclosed Pilothouse: Teak and holly flooring U-shaped dinette 24V Italian and Danish lighting Teak electronics mounting panel overhead Lighted stairway to fore cabins Oversized fully integrated screen monitor Steering control station w/complete instrumentation Dining table with teak top Chart locker Exalto heavy duty windshield wipers and washers
- Pilothouse electronics
- All navigation controls repeated on flybridge. Furuno Navnet Plotter Furuno Radar (12kw) Northstar plotter 6000i (with 2 GPS'S) SIMRAD AP50 autopilot Sidepower bow thruster (48 volt) Stern thruster (24 volt) Northstar Radar ICOM VHF NAIAD Multi-Sea II stabilizer control KVH Satellite phone/fax/high speed Internet-F55 KVH Satellite TV w/DirecTv CCTV w/4 fixed color cameras TRACE inverter control panel Raytheon wind speed Raytheon depth indicator Raytheon speed log Kahlenberg air horns, dual trumpet
- Master Stateroom
- On the lower deck the full beam master stateroom is located amidships and has an ensuite his & hers head arrangement. Beautifully appointed with huge amounts of storage, this stateroom is both elegant and functional. The layout includes a king sized bed, settee, desk, and vanity with lots of natural light through the 6 port lights. King size bed SAT TV w/receiver 32" Panasonic flat screen TV/DVD player with Bose 3-2-1 entertainment system Bose CD/stereo & sound system Bureau w/chest of drawers Cedar lined full height hanging lockers Drawers under bunk with auto lighting Vanity 2 private heads with stall shower, full beam 24V Italian and Danish lighting Linen closet Heavy duty 316L S/S portlights w/screens
- VIP Stateroom
- Queen size berth w/fabric cover SAT TV w/receiver 22" Pioneer flat screen TV with Bose 3-2-1 entertainment system 24V Italian and Danish lighting Cedar lined lockers En suite head and shower Full height TV locker Chest of drawers under bunk w/auto lighting both port & starboard English beveled mirror Stainless square portlights w/screens Vanity Storage below sole
- Port Guest Stateroom
- Double berth SAT TV w/receiver 15" Pioneer flat screen TV/DVD combo Cedar lined hanging locker under Teak and holly sole Heavy-duty 316L S/S portlights w/screens Under deck storage 24V Italian and Danish lighting
- Starboard Guest Stateroom
- Just forward of master is an extra stateroom that has been customized for times when an extra bunk is needed. Separated by a privacy curtain, this room can provide extra sleeping accommodations without restricting the width of the guest companionway. Also contains a full size washer and dryer. Single berth Teak and holly sole Heavy-duty 316L S/S portlights w/screens Under deck storage 24V Italian and Danish lighting
- Guest Heads
- FRP interior w/varnished trim Granite counters Vac-u-flush toilets China sink Vent blower Grohe faucets for sink and shower Shower S/S square porthole w/screen English beveled mirror Teak framed Lexan doors for shower 24V lighting Night switches for toilets Draperies
- The starboard guest stateroom doubles as a laundry room with Bosch washer and dryer units under the berth.
- Crew Quarters
- Crew quarters are located aft of the engine room and are full beam. There are two berths with ensuite head & shower. The area has a separate entrance in cockpit so guests are not disturbed in salon. Double berth port Single berth starboard SAT TV w/receiver En suite head
- Mechanical Equipment
- C-30 (1550 hp) CAT engines Hardwired block heaters for main engines (2) 25 kw Northern Light Generators Custom clear Lexan sound shields for generators Fuel transfer system Proprietary sea chest water intake system Drive coupling covers, FRP PSR pressure sea water system Sea chest inspection and cleanout port Water heater, 30 gallons stainless steel FRP fuel tanks with sight gauges Engine room lead/foam sound insulation Engine room blowers 220V high volume Racor fuel water separators, dual with gauge Engine room vent blowers Engine isolation switches 220V fluorescent lighting with 24V backup in engine room Color coded copper piping for fuel, water and hydraulic system Four 3700 GPH bilge pumps with auto & manual switch Fresh water outlet with hose for engines and generator Reverse oil change system for mains, generators and transmissions Heavy duty manual bilge pump Under water exhaust system High water bilge alarm in engine room PSS dripless engine shaft log seals Proprietary air inlet systems, baffled Polished stainless engine beds, risers and fuel manifolds Fuel (FRP): 3000 gallon w/sight tubes Water (S/S): 550 gallon w/sight tubes (100 drinking, 450 house) Holding Tank (FRP): 200 gallon Gray Tank (FRP) 200 gallon Oil (FRP): 50 gallon
- Electrical System
- (2) 25 kw Northern lights generators 2500W pure sine wave inverter 4 x 200AH heavy duty batteries Backlit electrical panel Battery paralleling system with magnetic circuit breakers Glendinning Cablemasters (2 forward and 2 aft) Tinned wiring throughout Service battery switch Bonding system
- Deck and Hull
- Vacuum Bagged Hull with Kevlar Reinforcement. Kevlar was chosen as a hull fabric because it produces a hull that is more durable than common, old, low technology fabrics used by many manufacturers. The state-of-the-art hull structure which includes Kevlar, composite laminates, vinylester and epoxy resins and closed cell SAN-based foam is vacuum bagged to produce a hull that can withstand the punishment of rough seas and impact with floating objects. This combination of weight and strength has proven popular even amongst the most adventurous yachtsmen and sailing racers in the world. Exterior Hardware & Fittings: Hidden fueling ports w/anti spill catch basin Stainless Steel rudders Stainless Steel cleats & hawse holes Strut keels Aquamet 22 propeller shafting with dripless engine shaft seals Stainless Steel portholes - heavy duty 316L S/S Custom stainless anchor light and pennant bracket Maxwell VWC3500C Windlass Super duty custom trim tabs Sea water washdown, forward deck, high volume Lazarette: The swim platform is integral. Custom storage areas Access ladder Weather tight hatch Underwater lights Recent bottom job August 2013
- Here you will find a spacious entertaining, dining and relaxation area. Large dining tables, settees and sunpads are located aft of the fully redundant helm station. A stainless steel propane BBQ grill and sink area separate the lounge area from the boat deck with tender. AB 15 DXL tender with 90 hp Evinrude Redundant helm station with electronics (2) Stidd helm chairs FRP Hardtop Enclosure EZ2CY 1500 lb Hydraulic davit Full size gas BBQ grill U Line icemaker, sink and refrigerator Two custom designed varnished large teak dining tables with inlays accommodating dining for 12 people (fold into cocktail tables with spill rails while underway) Large 3-4 person sun lounge (2) Retractable large sunning umbrellas Child safety screening added to flybridge perimeter rails
- Marlow Features
- The Marlow Explorer have included all the large and small features that make yachting a pleasure. The galley is served by SubZero, Dacor, Whirpool, Franke and Grohe appliances and fixtures. The use of natural stone, either granite or marble, is standard in the galley and heads. The floors are solid, premium hardwood purchases, sawn, dressed and built by Marlow craftsmen rather than plywood with a thin veneer. The drinking water is pumped from its own top quality stainless steel tank with elaborate filtration incoming and outgoing. Separate faucets deliver the water for internal consumption and to the icemakers.
- Velocijet Strut Keels
- Marlow Explorer Yachts are designed and built to cross the oceans of the world in comfort and safety while the proprietary Velocijet Strut Keels technology allows inland and island cruising with fully protected running gear. In the Marlow Explorer, engineered tunnels accelerate and shape the propeller thrust for enhanced performance at all speeds. Directional stability is remarkably improved while significant drag reductions are accomplished. The advantages of the twin keels are many. In the Marlow Explorer, the shaft and bearings are enclosed inside a foil shaped Strut Keel, eliminating drag of the struts and protecting the vital running gear from logs, deadheads, trash and dirty water that otherwise flow through exposed struts and their bearings. The shape and design of the Strut Keels reshape the water as the boat passes through it. These changes to the shape of the water and waves will affect the performance of the boat by reducing the stern wave causing a noticeable increase in speed for a given throttle setting. The stabilizing action of the Velocijet Strut Keels greatly reduced the plunging motion usually seen in most boats. These fins are effective at dampening rolling motion and this effect increases with speed. This reduction in pitch and roll enhances the ability of the Marlow Explorer to go to weather thus increasing the performance of the yacht, providing increased passenger comfort and decreased fuel usage. The Velocijet Strut Keels ability to shape the water allows for reduced rudder size by shaping the water to meet the rudders. The reduced rudder size reduces power requirements and promotes better economy.
- Equipment Options and Upgrades
- Custom AV rack in port side of salon cabinetry Custom 4-cabin layout 110V GFI outlets on bridge Mirrored crystal locker at salon bar Snubbing electrical winches for cockpit Mirrors, lighting for artwork 50 gallon oil storage tank and pumping devices Upgraded crew quarters Upgraded 2 generators to 25kW Northern Lights Composite hardtop Air conditioning, engine room and crew Bow thruster 48V Two extra Glendinning cablemasters at bow Electronics engine controls over starboard Watermaker Hydraulic davit,1500 lbs. Chilled water air conditioning Sub Zero drawer refrigerators - galley Whirlpool full size dishwasher (May 2010) Pull out garbage bin - galley Dacor flush stove over Kenyon Bosch washer and dryer (May 2010) Flag Blue awlgrip Oval stainless package Teak and stainless dinghy chocks Custom dining room, lounge, desk area Wooden blinds Cherry interior Interior décor: rugs, dishes, towels Custom flying bridge sunpad, etc. Custom outlets (110V) locations Granite countertops in galley and heads U-Line with icemaker for bridge Vanity in VIP stateroom Revised crew cabin - added extra bed, storage Shoji screens, master cabin Custom lounge in cockpit 15' AB tender with 90hp Evinrude Naiad Stabilizers with multi sea controls Electronic engine controls Electronics entertainment package
- (2) Large custom sunning lounges which clip into deck and Portuguese bridge
- Fuel Consuption
- Alexandra Bear Fuel Consumption RPM 950 1250 1855 2250 2290 GPH 16 32 98 164 164 GEN 7 7 7 7 7 TOTAL 23 39 105 171 171 SPEED 9 10.6 15.2 23.1 25.3 RANGE 1173 815 434 405 Fuel Capacity 3000 gals GPH is for both main engines.
- David Marlow has created the perfect cruising machine for the modern yachtsman: long range, express speeds in comfort, luxurious style in a safe and seaworthy yacht, and removal of "compromise" from the equation of owning the perfect yacht. In a sentence, the Marlow 78 E is a traditionally styled work of art as well as a high performance, ocean going yacht. She was originally custom built for a highly experienced and very knowledgeable owner who equipped her to be a comfortable and dependable long range cruising yacht.