I. What information is collected?
• Personal Information:
We require personal contact information and boat information from our members. The required information is used to effectively and accurately create, maintain, and display BoatQuest’s classified services. The required boat information varies with each site of the BoatQuest network depending on the industry and its relevant data.
• Log Files:
We use IP addresses to analyze trends, administer the site, track site visitors’ movements, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.
• Links To Other Web Sites:
The Web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that BoatQuest is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage site visitors to be alert when they leave the Web site and to review the privacy statements of each and every Web site that they visit before disclosing personal information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected on this Web site.
Forums are very popular informative discussion opportunities for our site visitors, and for our members. Please note, however, any information a forum visitor posts in a forum session becomes public information. Exercise caution when you decide to disclose personal information in forum sessions because all site visitors will have access to this information.
II. How is the information collected?
• To list a boat to find a broker, site visitors must complete the requested forms. By virtue of these forms we collect a limited amount of personal information such as: (i) name, and (ii) postal and e-mail addresses. The provision of this personal information is not optional and by not submitting the requested information we will not be able to provide site visitors with the services they wish to obtain on this Web site. Through the requested forms we also solicit the provision of non-personal information about boats and other details.
• To keep site visitors informed with respect to new listings of boats on the Web site we offer the Personal Boat Agent feature, which is an e-mailing list service. In order to provide this e-mailing list service we collect e-mail addresses from site visitors who want to participate in the Personal Boat Agent. The provision of information in the form of e-mail is not optional if a site visitor chooses to participate in the e-mailing list service.
• This Web site offers services to individuals and marine professional such as vessel brokers and dealers who want either to sell boats, as well as to site visitors who want to buy boats. Our membership program is created for marine professional and individuals. To participate in the membership program a member, on his/her own behalf or on behalf of his/her company, is required to submit certain information about the company and personal information about the contact person within the company. The personal information required is a contact name, and postal and e-mail addresses. The provision of this personal information is not optional and by not submitting the requested information we will not be able to provide members with the services they wish to obtain on the Web site.
III. How information will be used?
• Disclosure of Information
We may disclose personal information when required by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of the law or comply with a legal process served on the Web site.
• Privacy of BoatQuest Email Lists
Personal information collected on the Web site is used primarily for the purposes it is requested. For example, contact information such as name, e-mail and postal addresses of a prospective member is used to inform him/her whether his/her application for membership has been approved, or whether a broker contacts a site visitor who listed a vessel in search of an interested broker, or to provide the site visitor with the Personal Boat Shopper messages.
We use non-personal information such as aggregate demographic data and information about our members’ companies and boats to analyze and develop our marketing strategy and to determine how site visitors found out about us, our site visitors’ interests regarding our services and how to further improve the Web site based upon these data.
IV. User choices in receiving and distribution of information
• BoatQuest Email Lists
Broker/Dealer members may receive monthly emails informing them of special promotions and advertising tips. Dealers wishing not to receive the mailer can send a request via email to be removed from the mailing list. Private party members automatically receive an email to confirm their placement on our site and to give them the necessary information to edit and delete their classified ads. Private parties also receive notification of ad renewal opportunities.
V. Children’s Use of Web Site
• The BoatQuest site is suitable for viewing by all members of your family. In fact, we know that some site visitors call on the talents of young people to assist in searching for a boat to buy. This section also includes certain guidelines from the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998.
For the protection and privacy of children, we seriously discourage unsupervised persons under the age of 13 from posting messages to any forum on BoatQuest. Further, we encourage parental guidelines that match ours with respect to our forums. This guideline protects children and their privacy.
We do not knowingly acknowledge or accept orders, registrations or requests for any goods or services from persons under the age of 13. If it comes to our attention that a request has come from a person under the age of 13, we will not respond to such a request. Instead we will automatically delete any information provided by a person who acknowledges being less than 13 years of age.
VI. Data Security
• Personal Information
To protect the member’s account information, BoatQuest asks each member with either a unique user name or password or a unique ad ID number. These unique identifiers are disclosed to the user via email immediately upon joining the BoatQuest network. Only members have the ability to modify their personal information and delete their ads as needed.
• Credit Card Transactions
BoatQuest uses GoDaddy Certification and secure servers to transmit all online credit card transactions in an encrypted format.
VII. Data Quality and Access
• Members may access their information 24 hours a day using their designated user name and password or ad ID number. Members may modify or delete their information as needed.