Port Royal ,
South Carolina ,
Chaparral designed their 277 SSX to be open and spacious for easy entertaining and comfort, and a deep cockpit for safety. She has an exceptionally deep cockpit both forward and aft for safety and a dry ride. It is a deluxe model and competitive with any of the high-end sport boats on the market in terms of fit-and-finish and build execution.
However, it is what is below the waterline that makes this boat perform so well. The extended running surface, 22-degree deadrise at the transom, reverse chines, and pronounced running strakes all combine to make the Chaparral 277 SSX both solid and easy to manage.
- Glass-dash with twin Simrad NSS7 multifunction displays
- Aft bench seating with reversible backrest that converts from full seating to a full sun pad
- Dual battery setup with crossover switch
- Enclosed fiberglass head compartment
- Cockpit table with dedicated storage and side mounts in aft cockpit and bow
- Premium stereo system with AM/FM, Bluetooth, auxiliary port, and digital display
- Forward seating with storage and center insulated ice chest beneath
- Helm and companion seating with exclusive seat levers for easy adjustments
- Dedicated storage for a 36-quart carry-on cooler
- Kevlar-reinforced hull laminate and a lifetime Limited Hull Warranty
The Chaparral 277 SSX is a sporty pleasure craft designed for having fun adventures on the water in coastal waters and big inland lakes. With the open design and plush upholstered seating, it is readily apparent Chaparral intended the 277 SSX primarily for entertaining and socializing.
She is designed and outfitted to appeal to owners looking for premium quality.
- Advanced Helm. The Garmin multifunction display makes up a glass-dash. The helm is well thought-out with switches logically arranged.
- Multi-Density Foam Seating. The rich upholstery conceals multi-density foam that provides comfort and security.
- Kevlar Reinforced Hull Laminate. With Kevlar reinforcement, Chaparral offers a Lifetime Limited Hull Warranty.
- Reversible Aft Bench Seating. The aft bench offers forward-facing and aft-facing bench seating and can be converted to a sun lounge.
- Helm and Companion Seating with Exclusive Levers. Both the helm and companion bucket seats adjust with unique levers built into the seat front. They alleviate the need to reach under the seat for adjustments.
- Head Compartment. The standard head compartment comes with a Porta-Potti, freshwater sink, and an opening portlight with screen.
- Wraparound Windshield. The wraparound windshield has a center opening walkthrough with a dual latch system and an air dam below for chilly morning runs.
- Transom Grab Rail. The large stainless-steel grab rail on the transom has an integrated ski tow feature.
- Cockpit Table. A cockpit table comes standard with dedicated storage and can be mounted on side mounts both in the aft cockpit or forward seating area.
- LED Lighting. LED lighting in the cockpit, console storage, head compartment, navigational lighting, and engine compartment.
- High Freeboard. This makes the 277 a fine boat to take offshore or to use on large inland lakes where a long fetch can create choppy conditions.
The Chaparral 277 SSX has a length overall of 27’ (8.23 m), a beam of 8’6” (2.59 m) and a draft of 35” (89 cm). With an empty weight of 5,500 lbs. (2,495 kg), 37% fuel, and two people on board, we had an estimated test weight of 6,100 lbs. (2767 kg).
The Numbers. With the stock single 350-hp Mercury 6.2 L V8 engine turning a Bravo 3 outdrive with 24 pitch prop sets, the test boat reached a top speed of 50.8 mph at 5415 rpm. The best cruise came in at 3500 rpm which translated to 29.9 mph.
At that speed, the 9.2 gph fuel burn converts to 3.2 mpg and a range of 233 statute miles, all while holding back 10% reserve of the test boat’s 80-gallon (303 L) total fuel capacity.
This test boat reached planning speed in an average of 3.6 seconds, accelerating to 20 mph in 5.4 seconds, and continued through to 30 mph in 7.5 seconds.
Chaparral has 14 engine options available, ranging from 300 to 430-hp. Both MerCruiser and Volvo Penta engines are available. All engines have dual prop lower units. This boat is equipped with the 8.2 MAG HO 430 HP
The boat performs exceptionally well as we have come to expect from the Chaparral brand. It takes an experienced operator to hold her in check since it does everything so gracefully, it is easy to let her romp. But no matter how heavy-handed or aggressive the operator may get; she keeps her good manners.
High-speed turns are met with a gentle roll and just enough slide to grab the water while not causing passengers and gear to be thrown to one side. She does not “hop” in tight turns. Spray is kept to the sides by the chines keeping the ride dry.
Continuing the turn, there is virtually no chine walk, and even with the trim of the outdrive maintained, no prop ventilation was experienced. It is just flat-out an all-around good handling boat.
Chaparral’s design utilizes an extended running surface, allowing the "V-Plane" hull design to continue aft of the transom. This creates additional stability and buoyance under nearly all driving conditions. It reduces the bow rise on take-off and helps get the boat on plane faster. It also permits an attractive stern design with a reverse transom sheer and tumble home in the stern quarters.
The Chaparral 277 SSX comes standard with a Porta-Potti. An optional electric head with a holding tank or an electric head with a holding tank and overboard discharge is available from Chaparral. This boat is equipped with a vac u flush head and holding tank.
Federal law states that untreated human waste can NOT be discharged in inland or coastal waters. Sewage for a portable toilet or a holding tank (Type III MSD) cannot be discharged unless the vessel is in the ocean more than three miles offshore. Holding tanks and portable toilets can be emptied at approved pump-out stations or by approved pump-out vessels.
The overall design and execution of the 277 SSX is indicative of Chaparral’s team possessing a clear understanding of what their owners want in a mid-size bowrider day-boat. With the latest technology, comfortable seating, and innovative design, along with solid performance and handling, the Chaparral 277 SSX does not leave much to ask for.
The aft bench seating and generous cockpit seating make it easy to entertain a crowd. The large swim platform provides a functional venue for enjoying the water and participating in watersports.
The superlative ride and unflappable turning create confidence for the operator. Combined with the luxurious feel and features, the Chaparral 277 SSX becomes a top choice for those seeking good times with friends and family on the water in a premium vessel.
|LOA||27' (8.23 meters)|
|Engine Model||8.2 Mag|
For more information about this vessel, please contact Russ Calasant.
We look forward to working with you!
Want more information?
Russ Calasant grew up in Niantic, CT working in local boatyards and on charter boats. By age twelve, Russ purchased his first boat: fast forward to today and about a dozen boats later, Russ travels between Beaufort and Hilton Head, SC as well as Savannah, GA on his Boston Whaler and lives aboard his Sea Ray with his wife Lisa and pup Ziggy in Port Royal, SC.
Russ enjoyed over thirty-five successful years in his sales consulting career with a Fortune-1000 company. Russ also has more than forty years of boating experience, including many trips and deliveries to the west coast of FL, to MA, and places in between. For the last twenty years, Russ has held a USCG Masters License, recently upgraded to 100 ton.
Most importantly Russ looks forward to building relationships and helping folks achieve or continue their dreams of boat ownership and all the great experiences it brings.